Movie files (or, specifically, .avi files)

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
drh_001

Movie files (or, specifically, .avi files)

Post by drh_001 »

I have looked up this question and haven't found an answer; perhaps it is there and I just didn't see it. I have a rather large database of references, some of which have movies (perhaps a minute or less long) as supplemental information. Those that are .mov files play just fine, but those that are .avi files don't. I get an error message saying that these files cannot be played, and asking me to "double-click here" to find the program to open the file. This is a file that Quicktime cannot open. Is there a way to tell Bookends to use a particular application to open a type of file, such as "always use blah blah" to open "such and such"? Also, if I wasn't hallucinating I understand that Quicktime is going away ( :shock: ), so how will this be handled?

Thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Movie files (or, specifically, .avi files)

Post by Jon »

When Bookends can't display a file that you open, it tells the Finder to open the application it thinks should handle it. So in the Finder, Get Info and specify whatever app you want to open the .avi file. Then make it apply to all .avi files. When you try to open it in Bookends the Finder should now make the choice you prefer.

Jon
Sonny Software
drh_001

Post by drh_001 »

Forgot about that; at least now I can see the video. Is there a way to make it automatically launch in Bookends? If not, I can certainly live with what I have now. (Forgot about associating files like that, it's been a long time since I have had to do that! :oops: )

Thanks!

Diana
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You want Bookends to render .avi files? No, unless that capability is added to the framework we use and it's automatic.

Jon
Sonny Software