Bookends doesn't run in Catalina betas -- update

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Jon
Site Admin

Bookends doesn't run in Catalina betas -- update

Post by Jon »

Please be aware that the Catalina beta (and probably the next several releases) are quite buggy, and Bookends won't run on them. You should avoid these beta releases if you are using Bookends. If you want to experiment with Catalina betas, you can install them on a separate partition on your HD/SSD, which is what I have done.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Bookends doesn't run in Catalina betas -- update

Post by Jon »

Apple has released the 4th developer beta of Catalina and Bookends now runs. Note that the public betas lag behind the developer releases, so people working with the public betas will have to wait for the next release (which will hopefully have the same fixes).

Once that's done I'll remove this thread.

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

Post by ozean »

Thanks for the update, Jon. My main problem with Bookends in the most recent Catalina beta revolves around PDF attachments. With almost all entries where I have these, I get error messages that state:

Code: Select all

Couldn't open PDF document XXX.pdf
Do you know of a fix?

This does not happen for newly created entries where I added attachments via drag&drop.(I can go into more detail via email, if you need more info.)
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm sure this is some "security" feature in 10.15. Where are the PDFs stored, in the iCloud sync folder, or elsewhere?

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

Post by ozean »

Yes, in the iCloud sync folder – displayed like this in Bookends’ preferences:

/Users/XXX/Library/Mobile Documents/iCloud~com~sonnysoftware~bot/Documents
ozean

Post by ozean »

Jon wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:25 am I'm sure this is some "security" feature in 10.15.
This is probably also true for another problem I just encountered: E-mailing entries doesn't seem to work anymore (no error message though). (This is true also for newly created entries.)
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That should work. Make sure you allow Bookends to talk to the Finder (which may be behind the first problem, too) in System Preferences, Privacy.

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

Post by ozean »

Very good!

Turning on "Full Disk Access" seems to have fixed problem #1 (error message on attachments), but not yet problem #2 (e-mailing).

I also turned on access for Bookends under the "Accessibility" section, but this didn't help with the e-mail issue either.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bookends uses AppleEvents to communicate with your email client (which I assume is Mail or Outlook). If that's not allowed by your System then it won't work. You can google for that and perhaps any other solution I haven't mentioned.

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

Post by ozean »

Found this on https://developer.apple.com/documentati ... ease_notes on the most recent build of Catalina:
AppleEvents
New Features
To enhance security, AppleEvents and AppleScripts that target an app on a remote system must authenticate as the same user on the remote system. An AppleEvent that targets an app running as a different user receives a procNotFound error.
To allow remote AppleEvents to target apps in any user session, run the following command in Terminal on the server:

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AEServer RestrictAccessToUserSession -bool false
Then disable and reenable Remote Apple Events in System Preferences > Sharing. (5353592)
edit: ah, now I realize that this addresses only remote access…
doclrb

Post by doclrb »

Jon,

I know I am posting to the ‘wrong’ forum, but wondering if you have any insights on the absence of ‘Copy to Bookends’ on the IOS Beta 13. I’ve currently downloaded Public Beta 5 and still no apparent luck on Bookends being recognized as a pdf app. Yes, I’m running the beta on a separate machine as you have suggested. My workflow will be dramatically altered without a Copy to Bookends shortcut on the sharesheet. I have not had any success in creating one either. It appears that only IOS can create a Copy to shortcut.

TY for any insights or assistance.

doclrb
doclrb
Les R. Becker, Ph.D., MS.MEdL, NRP, CHSE
lesrbecker2@gmail.com
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

We have nothing to add at this time -- it looks like a bug in the iOS 13 betas, which are still evolving. Once it has reached GM we can evaluate it, and if it's still broken look for a workaround.

Since you've joined the beta program you should report this as feedback to Apple. That's why they release beta software to the public, to uncover bugs, and the more reports they get the more likely they are to fix it.

Jon
Sonny Software
doclrb

IOS 13 Copy To Bug

Post by doclrb »

Thanx for the reply. I have reported the bug to Apple.

doclrb
doclrb
Les R. Becker, Ph.D., MS.MEdL, NRP, CHSE
lesrbecker2@gmail.com
iandol

Post by iandol »

Just to confirm under Catalina beta 5 that Bookends has problems with attachments stored in iCloud (cannot open); and this is solved by ensuring System Prefs ▶︎ Security & Privacy ▶︎ Privacy ▶︎ Full Disk Access has Bookends included... Probably when the final is out, Bookends will need to add an iCloud "Files and Folders" permission, which only requires a generic confirmation requestor from the user rather than having to open Prefs manually...
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

In our case we were prompted to allow access to iCloud Drive by the OS (Catalina), and once permission was granted there was no problem. The all files entitlement in the app itself has been deprecated by Apple. If you know of a replacement please contact tech support. Thanks.

Jon
Sonny Software