Page numbers for numbered citations

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
shazoom

Page numbers for numbered citations

Post by shazoom »

The built in support for citations which are numbered, such as for IEEE, does not seem to allow page numbers to be added using the @123 syntax. I have been able to use the escape style though (/ p. 123/). It would be nice to be able to use the @syntax as it is something required for multiple references to the same document, from the IEEE style guide,:
References Within a Reference: Check the reference list for ibid. or op. cit. These refer to a previous reference and should be eliminated from the reference section. In text, repeat the earlier reference number and renumber the reference section accordingly. If the ibid. gives a new page number, or other information, use the following forms:

[3, Th. 1]; [3, Lemma 2]; [3, pp. 5-10]; [3, eq. (2)]; [3, Fig. 1]; [3, Appendix I]; [3, Sec. 4.5]; [3, Ch. 2, pp. 5-10]; [3, Algorithm 5].
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Page numbers for numbered citations

Post by Jon »

You use the backslash for quoted text: \ p. 123\

Jon
Sonny Software
shazoom

Post by shazoom »

Hi John,

yes I used the wrong slashes (as I said I've confirmed it works) but my question was really about the @ syntax for page numbers.

Best,

Peter.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It's important that it be correct if others see this thread and want to use that construction.

Actually, it would be complicated to implement. I don't see any significant advantage of @ over \literal text\ in this case.

Jon
Sonny Software
shazoom

Post by shazoom »

It's important that it be correct if others see this thread and want to use that construction.
Fair enough.
Actually, it would be complicated to implement. I don't see any significant advantage of @ over \literal text\ in this case.
OK. I'm not that invested in using the @ notation I really just wanted to know if I was missing something.

Thanks for explaining your position on supporting @ for numbered citations.