additions to Reference Miner

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
rhood

additions to Reference Miner

Post by rhood »

Suggested additions to reference miner--already a great application!

1) ability to save searches. I do a lot of repetative searches (for example, checking the literature for new articles periodically). It would be great if I could save a search so I can re-use it.
2) ability to automatically run searches on loading program. It would be great if we could set things up so the search would automatically re-run every time we started ref miner, if we so wished.

I've started using another program (sente) in addition to Bookends because it does (in my opinion) a better job of complex searches (though maybe I've missed this in ref miner currently). For example: sente lets you search within a group of hits. But sente is not a replacement for bookends or ref miner.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi rhood,

Saving internet searches is something we will almost certainly add to Bookends. Automatic searching is another feature we are interested in including. These are relatively high on our list of desirable features.

I'm not sure what you mean about searching within a group of hits -- that would be a Bookends feature, not Reference Miner, right (also, please note that there is an advanced search pane in Reference Miner that lets you perform very complex PubMed searches)? And you can do that in Bookends now. If you have a group, make Hits from the group and then do a subsearch (the edit field at the top of the Hits window) or another Find in just the Hits List. I can tell you that we have spent put a lot of time on this issue, and it will be markedly improved in Bookends 8 (and I think will set the standard for reference management apps -- but perhaps I'm biased).

FYI, you can easily export from Sente (to a file or copy to the clipboard) and import into Bookends. You'll be able to do this with drag and drop in Bookends 8.

Jon
Sonny Software
rhood

re: ref miner

Post by rhood »

Thanks for the info. I appreciate your detailed response. Re: searching within hits--I think it might be helpful if I could (when I get 1000 hits) search among them *before* moving them into Bookends. But sounds like the question will be addressed in the next release, so THANKS for that! I'm looking forward to the next edition of Bookends.

As always: great program, and thanks for the great support.
ydnar

ref miner

Post by ydnar »

Some of the updates in version 8 sound great! Any idea when it will be
released? And will it be a paid update if I buy the current version?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi ydnar,

I can't give you an exact date for the release of Bookends 8, because it depends upon some things that we don't control. But I can tell you it is coming along nicely. Anyone who buys Bookends 7 now will receive Bookends 8 without charge. But I *do* suggest that if there are make-or-break features for you in Bookends 8 (like Unicode support) that you wait until you can evaluate if for yourself. We have a generous demo policy, and sales are final once a serial number is provided. We want our users to be delighted with Bookends, and the only way they can be sure of this is to try it before they buy. Please keep an eye on VersionTracker, MacUpdate, et al. and hopefully you'll see an announcement in the not-too-distant future.

Jon
Sonny Software