Lost Library

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
sjones

Lost Library

Post by sjones »

Hi,

All of my references and folders have disappeared from my Bookends. Does anyone have experience with such a problem?

Thanks in advance.
DarrenIngram

Re: Lost Library

Post by DarrenIngram »

It may be a silly question, but are you sure you are in the right library file and have not inadvertently created a new library?

I am sure technical support can give you better advice. One way would be to look at the filename and original file location for what you believe your real library to be called, and then look back in "Time Machine" until you see the file size increase, e.g. if you HAD somehow deleted all the references the byte count would be very smalll, but going backwards would show the file size suddenly increase and you may then be able to restore that file and get your references back again.
sjones

Post by sjones »

DarrenIngram wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:17 am It may be a silly question, but are you sure you are in the right library file and have not inadvertently created a new library?

I am sure technical support can give you better advice. One way would be to look at the filename and original file location for what you believe your real library to be called, and then look back in "Time Machine" until you see the file size increase, e.g. if you HAD somehow deleted all the references the byte count would be very smalll, but going backwards would show the file size suddenly increase and you may then be able to restore that file and get your references back again.
Thanks for your reply, in a bit of a panic 3 years worth of references!
sjones

Post by sjones »

Managed to retrieve my library, but how to I have this open up as my default library? As Bookends keeps opening up with a blank library.

Thanks,

sjones
DarrenIngram

Post by DarrenIngram »

It is positive that you have your data back!

Close the library you don't want to open (if you have several open)

File / Open / (select library from the list).

Close Bookends.

Open Bookends: it should open with the last (desired) library.

That's what works here at least.
sjones

Post by sjones »

Darren,

Thanks so much, been in total melt down!!!!
DarrenIngram

Post by DarrenIngram »

I know the feeling when things look hopeless and even the "obvious" things don't seem obvious at that point in time.

The main thing is you are back on track!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm glad it's sorted out. Bookends will always treat the last-opened library as the default. So as DarrenIngram said, open the library via the menu options or by double clicking it in the Finder and it will be treated as the default.

Jon
Sonny Software