Safe to use BE attachments folder as only repository?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Rbohn

Safe to use BE attachments folder as only repository?

Post by Rbohn »

Is it safe to use the folders where my Bookends attachments reside (i.e. the actual PDF articles/books) with other applications? For example, if I want to read some papers on my iPad, can I point my PDF reader at the folder containing BE attachments? Or, would I have to access these documents only through Bookends?
The rationale is that I want to avoid multiple copies of documents that I collect. This becomes messy, with some versions having different highlights, comments, etc. But if, for example, I am reading and comparing multiple PDFs, I want to have a choice of how I access them.

In the past I have used EagleFiler as the "master manager" for my documents (PDFs, Word docs, videos, etc.) EF explicitly allows this. It is also good about handling many file types, not just PDFs. (DevonThink, for example, imports files into its own database, so that other applications cannot access them.)

I have not found any discussion that prohibits opening BE attachments from other applications. But this could be implicitly forbidden, or at least risky.
Thanks for any reports from others who have tried using Bookends as the only repository of their documents.
I would also appreciate comments about using Bookends with non-PDF documents.

From the discussions of Synch via iCloud on this forum, it appears that if I want to have a single repository for documents,
  • 1) "Sync of attachments [i.e. document repository] is based on iCloud Drive. All files must be located in the iCloud Drive -> Bookends folder." Source: https://www.sonnysoftware.com/bookendsontap/cloudsync/
    2) The bookends library itself automatically is synched via /Users/user/Library/Mobile Documents/iCloud~com~sonnysoftware~bot/Documents . (Not clear, but it appears that the library will also be on your MacOS machine.)
    3) If I don't care about access from multiple machines, the repository can be anywhere.
    4). the attachments repository is distinct from the Bookends library, where all the metadata goes.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Safe to use BE attachments folder as only repository?

Post by Jon »

You can read and edit PDFs in the Bookends default attachments folder from other apps without harm. Just don't change any file names.

Jon
Sonny Software
Rbohn

Re: Safe to use BE attachments folder as only repository?

Post by Rbohn »

Thanks.

Regarding non-PDF files, I found this mention, under "New for version 10.0.3". So it appears that these 6 file types can be partially displayed, in addition to PDFs. Any other file type, such as a web site, should be transformed to a PDF before saving it.
More versatile display of attached files

Bookends can show the textual contents of attachments of many different file types: .doc (Microsoft Word), Mellel (XML), RTF, RTFD, Nisus Writer, and HTML. The display contains the main body of the text only (no text styles or images, and in the case of Mellel no note streams or footnotes). The Bookends Spotlight search will find text in these attachments if they are in the default attachments folder (or subfolders). Note that to find Mellel file attachments you must have installed the Mellel Spotlight plug-in. PDFs and images can be zoomed up to 300%.