How do I import a PDF attachment directly?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
DrJJWMac

How do I import a PDF attachment directly?

Post by DrJJWMac »

I have a PDF attachment located in a different folder than the local BE folder. The PDF file shows in the bottom view, so its location is clearly already known to BE.

For the life of me, I cannot find an immediate way to import the attachment directly to the local folder. Every option that I see makes me have to search and find the attachment file again manually from the Finder level dialog.

Among all the menu options ...

Open Attachment With
Rename Attachments ...
Show Attachment in Finder

where is the equivalent one-step context menu that says

Import Attachment to Local Folder ??????

--
JJW
--
JJW
Jon
Site Admin

Re: How do I import a PDF attachment directly?

Post by Jon »

The attachment has already been "imported" and Bookends knows where it is, so as far as using it with Bookends there's no reason to move it to the default attachment folder. But if you want it there, use Global Change -> Consolidate Attachments.

Or, since this is just one example, use Show in Finder and move it yourself (which allows you to move it anywhere, of course, not just the default folder).

Jon
Sonny Software
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

> there's no reason to move it to the default attachment folder.

There is one critical reason to have to do so. The only way to search through a PDF with the Spotlight search is when the file itself is in the default folder.

Or am I missing something on that side that allows Smart groups to do Spotlight searching in files that are not directly in the local Attachments folder for Bookends?

> use show in Finder and ...

The option you propose is a tedious process when many files are in play and when those files are stored within complex sub-directory structures.

JJW
--
JJW
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Did you see the Global Change function I mentioned?

Jon
Sonny Software
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

Jon wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:03 pm Did you see the Global Change function I mentioned?
Gosh. I really am feeling rather embarrassed.

That did exactly what I wanted. Thank you!

--
JJW
--
JJW