Export to Citavi (with attachments)

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
iljajj

Export to Citavi (with attachments)

Post by iljajj »

Hi all,

As I now have to include Windows in my workflow, and Bookends isn't available, I'm trying to get everything exported to Citavi with the idea of repeating that periodically (I do all my "harvesting" using Bookends). The problem is getting the attachments to play ball. A RIS export does work, but RIS doesn't appear to have any attachment information, nor does BibTex. Citavi doesn't like the Endnote XML option much. A temporary install of Endnote imports everything, but leaves out all titles with diacritics in the title/file name. I've got a lot of German stuff, so I'm stuck there.

Has anyone managed this?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Export to Citavi (with attachments)

Post by Jon »

You can modify the RIS format (or any format) to output attachment name or even attachment paths -- look in the field popup menu beneath the Order field. Whether Citavi can import them is another matter (I don't know).

Also, EndNote XML should contain any diacritics in the reference. If you find that's not the case you should contact tech support with an example.

Jon
Sonny Software
iljajj

Post by iljajj »

Hi Jon,

Thanks for this. I've tried various ways of encoding and editing the resulting file so that it leads to the file path, but nothing with much success. I'm giving up on this one.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bookends can output the information any way you like. I think you should write to Citavi and ask their advice on what they can do to import it.

Jon
Sonny Software
iljajj

Post by iljajj »

At the moment I can't even persuade Zotero to import with attachments, and I've pretty much tried everything.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Export from Zotero with attachments and then import that back into Zotero. Look at how they arrange things, then have Bookends do the same. I've forgotten the details at the moment, but the PDFs are exported to a folder in the same folder as the RIS text file, and I believe they use L1 tag to hold the names.

Jon
Sonny Software