Linking to/from Tinderbox

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Beck

Linking to/from Tinderbox

Post by Beck »

Hello, everyone. 👋

I use Devonthink, Tinderbox, and Bookends to map concepts, store, reference, and discover knowledge for my PhD in Information Science. Though I've used Bookends for several months, I've just joined the forum, and anticipate several future posts as I rely more heavily on it.

Right now, my question has to do with Tinderbox. I OPT+CMD drag references from Bookends to maps in TBX and would like to know if there's anyway I might preserve/access an item link so that with some number of clicks, I can see a PDF of the file (I could reference PDFs from either Devonthink or Bookends, they're located in both currently).

The only solution I can think of currently is to create an extra attribute in Tinderbox that links to the file in Devonthink, but it seems a pity to have it linked properly in Bookends and not be able to leverage that metadata. Any tips?

Thanks,
Beck
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Linking to/from Tinderbox

Post by Jon »

Hopefully you'll get some advice here, but I think you'll more likely to get help on this in the Tinderbox/DTP forums.

Jon
Sonny Software
Beck

Post by Beck »

Hi, Jon.

I went over to the Tinderbox forum to do some searching and see on this post that you (?) wrote, "The hypertext link back to Bookends will be inserted" from the ⌘+OPTION drag move. Where does that link reside? I don't see it listed in the attributes associated with the Reference prototype (screenshot attached).

I'll be happy to ask the Tinderbox folks, but if you have some clarity around what you meant above, it would answer my question. Thanks!
Attachments
Screen-Shot-2019-10-14-at-6.59.07-AM.jpg
Screen-Shot-2019-10-14-at-6.59.07-AM.jpg (48.55 KiB) Viewed 4837 times
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I don't recall, it was a long time ago -- I think I just dragged and dropped it into the notes. This really is a question for them (or perhaps in the TInderbox documentation).

Jon
Sonny Software
Beck

Post by Beck »

Just heard back from Tinderbox's developer and wanted to follow up here in case any future users run into this.

The bookends:// url is ported over in the drag, just not shown in the (TBX language alert) "key attributes" of the "prototype." It's stored in $URL. Adding $URL to the prototype's key attributes makes the URL easily available and clickable from any reference. Here's the explanation: https://forum.eastgate.com/t/linking-ba ... nds/2575/6
feuizl

Post by feuizl »

Excellent! Many thanks as alway, beck.