Two feature suggestions

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
roger

Two feature suggestions

Post by roger »

(1) Unless I have missed it, there is an option for "Chapter in edited book" but not for "Chapter in a book authored by someone else". I am entering bibliographic data for someone who frequently wrote "Forewords" and "Prefaces" for other peoples' books, and there appears to be no pre-existing reference type that covers this. Or is there? I have been entering them as chapters in edited volumes, though that is not correct. I suppose I should create a new reference type, but I thought I would probably make a mistake!

(2) Would it be possible to have a MENU ITEM to import PDF files? There are currently two ways to import PDFs, either using the Watch Folder, or dragging and dropping. The problem with dragging and dropping is that sometimes the PDF "bounces" off Bookends, and you need to do it again, and there is always the danger of dropping in the wrong place. Also, and this may be my problem, I find dragging and dropping difficult with the trackpad on my Macbook Pro (how hard to I press?) even though it is easy with a mouse. A menu item that opened a finder dialog box to select the files would be easier. Ideally the menu item would have three options: "Attach to selected reference" (if a single PDF); "Attach to new references and autocomplete if possible"; "Attach to new blank references and do NOT try to autocomplete" (for cases where information will not be found online.

Apologies if these do exist and I missed them.

Roger
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Two feature suggestions

Post by Jon »

1. So you have, in essence, two authors. Yes, you should make a new Type. If you need help, you can post an example of how you want the bibliography entry to look like when formatted.

2. We have that: Refs -> Attach-> File/Folder

Select the file you want and then you'll be presented with the usual attach dialog from which you can make the choices you listed.

Jon
Sonny Software
roger

Post by roger »

Sorry to have missed that, but I think it covers only part of what I suggested. It will attach a PDF to an existing reference, but does not provide the option of importing and attaching to newly-created references. If no reference is selected, the two options are greyed out. It seems you need to drag and drop, or use the Watch folder, to do this.

But since updating Bookends, my Watch folder is now working again.

Roger
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Not for me. When I attach via a menu the attach dialog provides the option to "Attach to a new reference" (or Attach and autocomplete if there is no DOI).

Jon
Sonny Software
roger

Post by roger »

I see that, though you have to have a reference selected even if you don't want to attach anything to it and intend to attach the PDF to a new reference, otherwise the File/Folder choice is greyed out. And I cannot work out a way to attach more than one reference at a time this way. What I have in mind is a method for importing dozens, or hundreds of PDFs at a time, often to an empty group.

Sorry if I am still missing something.

Roger
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Yes, a reference must be selected to enable the menu, but that's not a bid deal. For multiple PDFs drag and drop is the way to go, finding an clicking on dozens or hundreds of PDFs in an Open dialog is a non-starter (you can drag and drop a folder containing PDFs, too, BTW). If you drop on a group the new references will be put there.

Jon
Sonny Software