pagination issues?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
bh6140131

pagination issues?

Post by bh6140131 »

Hi all--I'm busy getting set up with Bookends, and wishing I had invested the time in this a long time ago. However, I'm trying to refine my particular workflow and finding a logjam with something possibly niche-seeming but important for how I organise things.

There's been some other topics on here dealing with a variation of this issue of PDF pagination. I have access to Adobe Acrobat, which enables me to change the "page labels" to accurately number the PDF pages according to the article's pages (so the first page of article that's page 66-83 in a journal would come up as 66, instead of 1, for example). I'm doing this to my PDFs and, on my Mac, apps such as Preview and PDF Expert reflect the new changes fine. When I bring the file up on various PDF readers, including Bookends, on my iPad, though, most simply number it as page 1, 2, 3, etc.

Does anybody know why and how I can try and investigate a workaround?

The idea is that if I can export my annotations to text files, I will have the correct reference page number as I incorporate them into my writing flow. But if I'm missing anything I'd appreciate hearing about it!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: pagination issues?

Post by Jon »

Bookends uses PDFKit to deal with that, and accepts whatever the value it returns (which apparently isn't related to whatever ad hoc changes is made in Adobe Acrobat).

The solution in Bookends is to have the correct page numbers in the reference database entry (the pages field). If Bookends sees that the PDF starts at "1" but the page field starts at 38, it will use 38 in the notecard (or 39 if you are the second page of the PDF).

Jon
Sonny Software
bh6140131

Post by bh6140131 »

Thanks, Jon, for your response. And you are right, of course, that it works perfectly on my Mac. It doesn't, however, on my iPad, which is where I do the bulk of my reading on my commute. Or at least, when I import the file into Bookends iOS and then export a text summary, it just reads as page 1, page 2, etc. Is this still the PDFKit limitation? Or if I paid for Bookends iOS and synced it properly would that resolve itself?

Appreciate the help!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bookends for iOS doesn't make the correction the OS versions does, which is something Serge and I have discussed. But you posted in the Bookends for Mac forum. I'll make sure Serge sees it.

Jon
Sonny Software
bh6140131

Post by bh6140131 »

Fair point--sorry. I was getting everything set up on macOS before deciding if the iOS app was necessary or useful for my workflow. Sorry about that.
tappazee

Post by tappazee »

Jon wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:46 pm The solution in Bookends is to have the correct page numbers in the reference database entry (the pages field). If Bookends sees that the PDF starts at "1" but the page field starts at 38, it will use 38 in the notecard (or 39 if you are the second page of the PDF).

Is there a way to do this in reverse, i.e. when p1 is several pages into the PDF (usually because it's a book with title pages and foreword numbered i, ii, iii, iv etc)? I tried entering a negative figure into the pages field, e.g. "-17-300" but that didn't work.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

No, that won't work. If the notecard was imported into Bookends with cited page, you can edit it yourself by double clicking on it.

Jon
Sonny Software
tappazee

Post by tappazee »

Jon wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:46 am No, that won't work. If the notecard was imported into Bookends with cited page, you can edit it yourself by double clicking on it.
OK, thank you.