keywords search issue

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Nestorito

keywords search issue

Post by Nestorito »

Hello,
I’m trying to put some order in my 6000+ library and I’m reviewing the keywords list; I’ve come across some problems with keywords search. The point is that, if I’m correct, the search finds all the words that appears in the keywords field, not just the ‘token’ I’m searching.
An example:
I make a search for the keyword “Cultural Critique”: in the results there are entries which contain the keyword “Cultural Critique” but also entries that contain, for example “Cultural Theory” & “Discourse Critique”.

I understand that I can exclude other words in the advanced search pane but the point is that I have to see all the results to know which other words I have to exclude to have the “right” results (ie: only the entries that contain the keyword “Cultural Critique” as in the example).
So to make it short: how can I make a “token-like” search that finds only the keyword “Cultural Critique” and not the occurrences of “Cultural” & “Critique” in the whole keywords field?

Thanks in advance
Jon
Site Admin

Re: keywords search issue

Post by Jon »

Search for "string", not the indexed search.

This is an option in Find (Command-F), but you can do it in live search, too, if you put the search words in quotes (in this case it's not don't "live", but when you hit Return).

Jon
Sonny Software
Nestorito

Post by Nestorito »

Jon wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:45 am Search for "string", not the indexed search.

This is an option in Find (Command-F), but you can do it in live search, too, if you put the search words in quotes (in this case it's not don't "live", but when you hit Return).

Jon
Sonny Software
Thank you Jon, I realized I can use quotes to search for a text screen; but I'm still struggling with the same point in a case like this:
find keyword1 "Otherness" if I also have a keyword2 "Otherness (representation)"
In my experience in this case the results would include entries that have both keywords, isn't it?
So what would you suggest? Avoid single-word keywords? (I mean: I could set keyword1 to "Otherness (general)" and keyword2 to "Otherness (representation)")
Or is there another work-around?
thanks a lot
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

There are a bunch of ways to do boolean searches in Bookends. But if you're talking about live search use a - in front for a NOT search.

united -states

finds references with the keyword united but NOT the keyword states

Jon
Sonny Software
Nestorito

Post by Nestorito »

Thank you Jon for the reply, I guess I'm not being able to explain the situation:
let's say I'm making a smart group for the keyword "united" because I'm interested only in the references tagged as "united";
if I know that I also have a keyword "united states" I can add a NOT condition but If I don't know how many keyword contain the world "united" I will get all the results from the keywords list that contain this world. Correct?
The point is that, for example I have maybe 20 keywords that contain the world "poetry" and skimming off non relevant keywords is very hard, that's why I was asking if keywords are treated as 'token' or as a simple word list
thanks for any help
Nestor
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

They are a simple word list.

I'm still not sure what you want, but if you want ONLY references with where the keyword "united" appears by itself, you can set up the smart search to do an exact match for "united" AND NOT "united " (with a space after it).

Or you could set up an SQL smart group with a regex that looks for lines with exact matches.

Jon
Sonny Software
Nestorito

Post by Nestorito »

Jon wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:07 pm
Or you could set up an SQL smart group with a regex that looks for lines with exact matches.

Jon
Sonny Software
Hi Jon and thank you, I guess that's the point: as I have various words that are repeated in keywords I was trying to find a way to search a text string in a single line, I'll check how to build SQL searches. But alas, as I see, it isn't possible to build smart groups from SQL/REGEX searches...
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Sure it is.

Add button -> Smart Group (SQL)...

Jon
Sonny Software
Nestorito

Post by Nestorito »

Jon wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:04 am Sure it is.

Add button -> Smart Group (SQL)...

Jon
Sonny Software
Goops sorry and thanks! :roll: