Multiple refs in floating citations

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
marcus

Multiple refs in floating citations

Post by marcus »

Great update with 13.4.

I'm a bit confused with the selection of multiple references in floating citations. I'm assuming this can be done by searching in the floating citation window and then using Control+ Click / Shift + Click to grab multiple refs. This is super helpful, especially for citing multiple works by the same author or refs with the same keywords, etc.

I'm wondering if there is a way to do this when 2 refs don't come up with the same search. For example, if I search based on last name, then I would have to insert the citation, re-open floating citations and search for the second author. Is this currently possible with the update and I'm just not figuring it out? The UI in Papers use the method whereby you could select a number of refs before inserting them all as a group. Is there a way to make this possible using the current BE update where I can select multiple authors that require different searches in Floating Citations?

Also, I consulted the User Guide, but the wording is not particularly clear: "You can select multiple references at once, and is situations where it makes all will used. This is useful, for example, for creating a temporary citation group with Copy Citation" (p.43).

Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Multiple refs in floating citations

Post by Jon »

You can select multiple refs if they're in the same list. You can accumulate selected from different searches.

I don't know what you mean by unclear. There are times multiple selections are useful (e.g. copy citation), and times where they are not (e.g. copy hypertext link -- the clipboard can contain only one at a time, so Bookends only copies the first selection). I didn't spell out all the possible combinations, I figure that copy citation will be by far the most used.

Jon
Sonny Software
marcus

Post by marcus »

Jon wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:46 pm You can select multiple refs if they're in the same list. You can accumulate selected from different searches.
Can you explain how you can accumulate selected references from different searches? As soon as I select the second reference and hit enter, only the second reference appears in the text. The first is completely lost.

Is it possible to select from multiple searches in the floating citation window as opposed to selecting multiple refs from the main library window?
Jon wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:46 pm
I don't know what you mean by unclear. There are times multiple selections are useful (e.g. copy citation), and times where they are not (e.g. copy hypertext link -- the clipboard can contain only one at a time, so Bookends only copies the first selection). I didn't spell out all the possible combinations, I figure that copy citation will be by far the most used.

In terms of clarity, I just meant that I'm not sure what this was supposed to mean: "You can select multiple references at once, and is situations where it makes all will used." It seems like some words might be missing from this sentence.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Sorry, topo -- you "cannot"

D'oh, you're right about the wording, too.

Too much multitasking!

Jon
Sonny Software