The pdf could not be saved. You don't have permission.

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
johnlaudun

The pdf could not be saved. You don't have permission.

Post by johnlaudun »

Well, this is new. As in new this morning and with no update of which I was aware.

I use Bookends as my reference manager, and, as most of you here know, it saves PDFs to a folder in the never-never land of iCloud Drive. This morning, after opening a PDF to read and highlight, I am getting a dialogue box that looks like this:

Eh? When I open the iCloud Drive folder and try CMD + i, all I get is warning bonk -- that weird bell/honk noise. When I try CMD + i for other folders, results vary, though they tend towards the bonk for folders created by apps. Not all app-created folders do this. (E.g., the folder by aText or by Books are happy to let me get information, but not iA Writer nor Keynote.

Is it okay to change permissions from the command line or will universe-ending paradoxes ensue? (FWIW, I have no intention on sauntering among the folders in iCloud Drive and changing permissions because, you know, all my permission belong to me, or that sort of thing. I really just need the Bookends folder to let me save changes to the PDFs stored there.)

EDITED TO ADD:

Just to clarify that this seems a directory-level issue, a different pop-up notes:

Jon
Site Admin

Re: The pdf could not be saved. You don't have permission.

Post by Jon »

You can't Get Info on these Apple-generated folders in iCloud (click on one and Get Info is grayed out in the Finder). I have no idea why your permissions changed, could be some problem on Apple's end.

Jon
Sonny Software
johnlaudun

Post by johnlaudun »

I suspect you're right.

But, in the interest of continuing the documentation, here's yet another dialogue box:

johnlaudun

Post by johnlaudun »

It appears to be a Preview problem. I quit the app, discarding any unsaved changes -- not that many, so no great loss -- and everything is back to normal.