0 Citation Found

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
jmichaelthigpen

0 Citation Found

Post by jmichaelthigpen »

Hi,

Things have been going well with Bookends until a couple of days ago. Now, I can no longer import citations via the browser pane. My usual workflow is to use my university's worldcat search function in the browser pane. But recently, when I click the Import Selected References arrow, the citation window that pops up shows "0 citation found." I tried regular worldcat as well as JSTOR and the same thing happens in those as well.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot?

Here's my current set up:
Bookends 13.4 (registration code is good for updates through April 2022)
MacBook Pro (2017) 10.14.6.

I have restarted Bookends and my laptop with no change.

Thanks,
Mike
Jon
Site Admin

Re: 0 Citation Found

Post by Jon »

You're probably behind a firewall at your university. Make sure Bookends is whitelisted. If it still doesn't work try from home and don't route your searches through the university servers -- see what happens.

Jon
Sonny Software
jmichaelthigpen

Hi Jon,

I am working from home and I have made sure that I'm logged in at the University and JSTOR when making the attempts.

Mike
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I don't want you logged into the university. I want to avoid any firewalls.

*don't route your searches through the university servers*

Something obviously changed in your network environment, and a firewall setting seems like the most likely candidate.

Jon
Sonny Software
jmichaelthigpen

Hi Jon,

I did try that by going directly to worldcat and JSTOR. This was done from home. So neither of these were routed through the university servers, but I still get the same result.

Mike
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

In that case I'd suggest trying the opposite -- going through the university (if you can get there these days).

You'll have to try do diagnose this yourself because the issue is local. You said everything was fine and then it wasn't. Bookends didn't change. What did in your environment that might affect network access? I assume other reliable sites, like PubMed, are affected as well.

If you can't figure it out, and they are still responding during the pandemic, I'd contact your IT support and get their suggestions.

Jon
Sonny Software
jmichaelthigpen

Hi Jon,

Pubmed is working fine. I don’t use it (not my field), but your query made me check. I ran a search found a reference and it acted normally.

So it looks like this is an import issue with EBSCO/ATLA and Worldcat. I’m not aware of any changes, but it seems to be specific to these which I use most frequently. Our library discovery service is EBSCO. Worldcat.org shows a citation but then says it cannot resolve the title. If I go forward with an import, it brings in a blank reference with no data.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Are you using the site we bookmark?

https://www.worldcat.org/

I just tried it and importing worked well.

As for EBSCO, it's behind a paywall and I can't test it, but if Bookends doesn't locate a unique identifier on the page (e.g. a DOI) you won't be able to import.

Let's move this off forum. Please send me a URL in WorldCat and I'll take a look. And send a screen snap of what you see in Bookends Browser.

Email to support@sonnysoftware.com

Jon
Sonny Software