User-defined fields

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
roger

User-defined fields

Post by roger »

I have been using fields user1 and user4 to store information, but in order to use a macro someone else has written, it seems I need to use user1 for the BibTex key. But it is not clear to me how I work out which fields it would be safe to move my data to. Are there any user fields that are not used by Bookends for any reference type, and if so, where do I find a list?

Also, the reason I used user1 and user4 is that they are on the "Main" tab of the "Edit Reference" pane. If I use other fields for this data, is there any way to make them appear on the "Main" tab, because these are fields I use frequently when I input data manually.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: User-defined fields

Post by Jon »

Many fields in the second tab are used rarely except for certain academic disciplines. User7 for example is used for Language, which is rarely used. User9 and 10 are translator information, which you may or may not ever use. If you're using BibTeX it's a good bet (not absolute) that you're in the sciences in some fashion, so many of these fields could be repurposed for your needs.

Jon
Sonny Software