floating citations

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
kdv

floating citations

Post by kdv »

Hi,
Is there an option to pause/disable automatic searching in the floating citation window and to start it after typing in the whole search term using e.g. hitting Enter?
At the moment, the search starts as soon as i type a letter and then there is a significant lag until further typing and refining of the search is possible.

Tx
Kurt
Jon
Site Admin

Re: floating citations

Post by Jon »

No, there isn't. But the search should be very fast. How many references do you have? And if you type the first several keys reasonably fast, the number of hits should be small and the list not very large.

Jon
Sonny Software
kdv

Post by kdv »

Hi Jon,

I have about 18K references in the library;
Maybe its my slow typing, but i never seem to complete a last name for example typed before the search kicks in :(
Ideally i would be able to type the names of a couple of authors and/or key words before the search starts.

Kurt
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Have you increased the database cache in Bookends? For that many references, I'd try something like 30 MB (maybe 40, but not more than that).

FYI, you can do what you want in Bookends itself by enclosing the search in quote marks. That will give you an unindexed character search (slower), but it won't start until you enter the close quote mark.

Jon
Sonny Software
kdv

Post by kdv »

Hi Jon,

It was set at 20; I will increase it to 30 and then to 40 to see if it makes a difference.
In general searches in the main window are snappy with almost no lag; in comparison the floating citations search is very sluggish, even when i get the whole word typed eventually.

Kurt
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

But they are the exact same search.

If this persists, you can send me the library (via something like Dropbox) and I'll compare the speeds here.

Jon
Sonny Software