Standardize journal names switch between short/long

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Johan_A_M

Standardize journal names switch between short/long

Post by Johan_A_M »

I am trying to use the standardize journal names function for my (medical) journals. There were a lot of journals that I had to add, but I think I'm done with that now. However, when using the standardize function to get all my journal in long version format, it only switches between short and long - if a journal has the short version, it switches to the long version, but if it has the long version, it switches back to the short version.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Standardize journal names switch between short/long

Post by Jon »

Please contact tech support with screen snaps of what you are doing.

And frankly, setting the name in the library is a waste of time -- use the journal glossary (Medline Concise in your case) and have Bookends output the one you want when the references are formatted.

Jon
Sonny Software
Johan_A_M

Post by Johan_A_M »

Thanks Jon, I'll contact them.

The reason I had to do this half-manually is that I did a global change on the entire library, but for many of the journals that were not in the Concise Medical, Bookends seemed to guess randomly, so hundreds of my references all of a sudden ended up having a wrong journal. Hence, I decided to go through everything, journal by journal, and first correct via Autofill, and then add the missing journals to the glossary. I haven't worked with the journal glossary before so if you have any tips for making this easier, please let me know.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The glossary doesn't guess, it either finds a match or it doesn't. What journal did you have entered in Bookends that returned the wrong item from the Concise Medline glossary?

Jon
Sonny Software
Johan_A_M

Post by Johan_A_M »

It's been happening with for example Critical Care and Intensive Care Medicine.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

We'll have to continue via direct tech support. When I used Intensive Care Medicine, the short and full options returned from the glossary are

Intensive Care Med.
Intensive Care Medicine

Jon
Sonny Software