Cannot email references through Outlook app

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
pruppert

Cannot email references through Outlook app

Post by pruppert »

I am having trouble emailing references from Bookends. I have Outlook set as my default email reader (in Mail.app preferences); however, attempting to email from Bookends will always open in Mail.app. This has been happening for as long as I can remember over several versions of Bookends – at least the past year or more. Just finally getting around to asking about this. Is this a bug, or might I have something set incorrectly?

Thanks.

Bookends 13.4.4
Outlook 16.41
macOS 10.15.6
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Cannot email references through Outlook app

Post by Jon »

It works here. I'm guessing you did not approve AppleEvent communication between Bookends and Outlook (in System Preferences -> Privacy -> Automation). That's necessary.

If that's not it, and Mail.app is being opened even though you've specified Outlook in Mail.app prefs, that suggests there's something wrong with the Finder or the OS.

Jon
Sonny Software
pruppert

Post by pruppert »

Hmm. I am not seeing an option for Outlook in Automation. Any idea why or how to fix?
Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 1.35.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 1.35.10 PM.png (59.02 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

IT's a black box. The only thing I can suggest is to reset AppleEvent permissions to nil using tccutil, then let the OS ask you for permission as needed. Google for that. Here's one article.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... ermissions

Jon
Sonny Software
pruppert

Post by pruppert »

Thanks. I'll look into that.
pruppert

Post by pruppert »

Hi. So I finally got around to trying this.

With Outlook set as default mail readier in Mail.app, I tried all of the following commands (executed while the apps were quit):

Code: Select all

tccutil reset AppleEvents com.microsoft.Outlook
tccutil reset AppleEvents com.sonnysoftware.bookends
tccutil reset All com.sonnysoftware.bookends
None worked. Bookends still tries to send via Mail.app. I then downloaded Airmail and set it as the default reader. Bookends still tries to send via Mail.app. Any other ideas on things I could try or what I might search the web for to look for a fix? Thanks
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm guessing that either the system preferences for default Mail app are incorrect or that something is wrong/different about them. Please contact support@sonnysoftware.com and we'll look more closely.

Jon
Sonny Software