Copy reference as Plain text

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
NilsMS

Copy reference as Plain text

Post by NilsMS »

Is there a way in BE to copy a formatted reference without any styling? I have tried several outputs (Preferences -> Scan & Bib -> Output text as …) + Copy Formatted, but the output always seems to be RTF-formatted. Cmd-alt-shift-v does not help either.
The workaround to strip the reference from the styling is by pasting it into a plain text editor or using the terminal (pbpaste | pbcopy) (or using AppleScript), but I would prefer a direct solution. Any help is appreciated!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Copy reference as Plain text

Post by Jon »

No, you can't Copy as plain text (what app that supports styled text does that?). You can use Refs -> Bibliography -> Output as Plain Text -> Send to Bibliography Window and you'll get what you want. You can select and copy that (it will still have RTF in the clipboard, but styles like italics will be gone.

Jon
Sonny Software
NilsMS

Post by NilsMS »

Thanks for the quick answer!
I am experimenting with an online word processor specifically aiming at academic collaboration (FidusWriter), and with Zotero it is possible to add Bibtex-styled references via drag-and-drop (or copy-paste). At the moment, this does not work with BE because of the RTF-styling and I take your answer as indication that it is unlikely to be possible in the (near) future. In this case, I will probably rely on the second best option, a custom AppleScript.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bookends loads the clipboard with both plain text as well as styled text. It's up to the accepting app to pick the one it wants. I don't know FidusWriter, but I would have thought it would accept the plain text in the clipboard (or the drag).

Jon
Sonny Software
NilsMS

Post by NilsMS »

Interesting to know. FidusWriter is an online-app, so it is up to the browser. At least I am not aware of any option to tell, say, Safari to pick the plain text version of the clipboard.