On new Mac, Bookends fails to connect to NWP

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
David Sharp

On new Mac, Bookends fails to connect to NWP

Post by David Sharp »

I've recently bought a new MacBook Pro, and thereby switched from High Sierra to Catalina.

I used Time Machine to import all my files from the old machine (also a MacBook Pro, from 2015) and found that both Bookends and Nisus Writer Pro run just fine on the new one. I've kept the old Mac, but haven't been using it.

So far, I haven't reinstalled either program, and I haven't bought new licenses for either of them, although I'll be happy to do so if necessary.

Nevertheless, I've just discovered a major problem on the new Mac: although I can activate Bookends from the NWP "Tools->Bibliography" menu, the "Insert citation" command in NWP, which I use a lot, simply doesn't work. When I try to invoke it in a Nisus document, there's no error message—nothing happens. The other Bookends-related commands within NWP's Bibliography menu item work just fine, however.

I've set Bookends for "Full Disk Access", as recommended.

(Meanwhile, back on the old Mac, the link between NWP and Bookends works fine, as before.)

Can anyone advise on how to resolve this problem? As already noted, if I need to buy new licenses for either or both programs, I'll do so.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: On new Mac, Bookends fails to connect to NWP

Post by Jon »

You shouldn't need too. Go to System Preferences -> Privacy -> Automation and check the options for Bookends and NWP to talk to each other (even if already checked, do it again).

Jon
Sonny Software
David Sharp

Re: On new Mac, Bookends fails to connect to NWP

Post by David Sharp »

Great: that's solved the problem.

Bookends was checked under "NWP", but the opposite wasn't true.

I had not been aware of the "Automation" item in the Privacy menu.

Many thanks