How do I search in JSTOR?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
FESteward

How do I search in JSTOR?

Post by FESteward »

I read in the user guide that I should be able to access JSTOR publications in my searches, but it doesn't list that in the drop-down menu. Is there something I need to do to enable it?

Thanks,
Hilary
Jon
Site Admin

Re: How do I search in JSTOR?

Post by Jon »

If you don't see it, go to Import Filters Manager and enable it. You can also search it via Bookends Browser (JSTOR is bookmarked).

Jon
Sonny Software
FESteward

Post by FESteward »

Thanks. So what is the difference between the different options? For instance, for ProQuest, there is ProQuest Direct, ProQuest Current, and Proquest, or five different choices for OCLC. How do I know which one to select?

Also, for some reason, in the list of filters, Fordham is bolded. I'm not sure why. Is there a reason for that? Thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Most of them are import filters for downloaded text files (with your browser) only, they don't let you search. There is only one JSTOR filter, and it lets you do direct searches. As for the differences between them, they work with different sources. You have to determine yourself if they are appropriate for wherever you're getting your data from.

A bolded format means that you've edited it (or created it) and it's stored in the Custom Formats folder. If they are plain text then they are the factory default versions.

Jon
Sonny Software
FESteward

Post by FESteward »

Thank you. I also wanted to use EBSCO but it doesn't have the icon of a magnifying glass/search and so when I select it to include it in the ones I want to import, nothing happens and it doesn't show up as an option. Is there anything else I need to do to enable it?

When I try to search on the Proquest site, after I log in with my university email address and password (which it seems to accept), it just times out when I try and search anything. JSTOR seems to work just fine. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Hilary
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The searches work with Z39.50 servers, so you can't do that with EBSCO (which is just a web site).

They've probably changed the Z39.50 server. I can't test because I don't have access privileges.

I see this information about Proquest Oasis from 1017. If that's the service you want, the information is there (tell me and I'll add it for the next update). If you, please contact Proquest and ask them for the connection requirements. If you tell me what they are I'll update them in Bookends.

Jon
Sonny Software