Formats manager to produce {AuthorYear} in output style

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
frankel

Formats manager to produce {AuthorYear} in output style

Post by frankel »

Hi,

Bookends is one of the most helpful parts, I find, in processing literature, and one of the very helpful features is that it allows me to cite references in an 'organic' way, that is, very similar to how I remember references and how they look once the paper is formatted: I can write {Kean2016}, for example, and it becomes (Kean 2016) and figures in the bibliography. Here I rely on AuthorYear as added by Bookends automatically to facilitate BibTex (in field 12, I believe).

It is also a citation that I can use across editors — whether I write in nvALT, Archive, MS Word or in some other app, and often I can cite without consulting Bookends at all as I know what to reference.

The first part — {AuthorYear} — is helpful to search the full collection of notes for notes that mention a particular text. To avoid ambiguities in notes it would be helpful to have a modification of APA which adds {AuthorYear} at the beginning of the reference, which can be pasted in the relevant notes. Is this possible?

In short I've tried to make an output style (based on APA) in this format:

{AuthorYear}: Surname, Initial (Year). Title. Journal, vol(issue), pages

For example:

{Birch2016}: Birch, K. (2016). Market vs. contract? The implications of contractual theories of corporate governance to the analysis of neoliberalism. ephemera, 16(1), 107-133.

Is this possible? I've been tweaking in the formats manager, but cannot make it work.

Thank in advance,
Christian
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Formats manager to produce {AuthorYear} in output style

Post by Jon »

Assuming you have the citekey in User1 (the field label changes to Key if you've enabled BibTeX in preferences), you'd output the information using

u1

So

{u1}: ...

would output what you want.

Jon
Sonny Software
frankel

Post by frankel »

Great, thank you, it works (and yes, I've enabled BibTex in preferences). Except the curly parantheses {} do not show.

All the best,
Christian
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You can force them with the "quote" mark:

${$u1$}$

Jon
Sonny Software
frankel