Tables in the "notes" tab

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
stoic1348

Tables in the "notes" tab

Post by stoic1348 »

Is there a way to insert a table in the "notes" tab? Sometimes tables can sum up lots of info in a very brief way. Any help would be appreciated!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Tables in the "notes" tab

Post by Jon »

No. Notes, like all fields for metadata, are for text. You could make the table a picture (use a screen snap) and attach it to the reference, though.

Jon
Sonny Software
stoic1348

Post by stoic1348 »

I can't speak for other people, but I sure wish that notes *did* allow tables. There are many texts, like Aristotle, that lend themselves to notes taken in tables.

Wouldn't there be a way to link the notes field to an external word processor, if need be? Or support Markdown?

I suppose a workaround would be to take notes on a word processor, and make the file an attachment. But that sure is a kludge. :-(

Don't get me wrong--Bookends gets nearly everything absolutely great. But this would help, I think...
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The Notes field isn't a word processor and you're asking for something better suited for an information manager (e.g. DEVONthink) than a reference manager. And you can have the notes in DT link back to the reference in Bookends. Having said that, I just created a table Word, populated it, and copied/pasted it into the Notes field. The borders aren't visible and the columns not aligned, but the contents of the table are there. Not pretty, but in a pinch the data are there.

Jon
Sonny Software
iandol

Post by iandol »

Markdown support in notes would be great, it is plain text but can be optionally rendered into HTML for preview. Maybe something for a future release...