Duplicate attachments and red paper clip icon

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
FESteward

Duplicate attachments and red paper clip icon

Post by FESteward »

I have some entries that have two paper clips indicating that that item has two attachments. When I control click on the paper clip icons, I see that there are actually three attachments, two duplicates and one anonymous website. I don't see in the manual how to delete these duplicates. Any suggestions?

Also, it seems suddenly a lot of the paper clip icons have turned red. I had imported my files from Zotero a week or so ago, I thought with the attachments. I checked that the attachments folder is still in the Bookends folder in my user folder. Why might these attachments have been lost? I really don't recall seeing this before. I did check the manual and I didn't find anything.

Does this mean I need to re-import my citations? Then I would just search and delete the duplicates, right?

Thanks in advance for any help you can be,
Hilary
Last edited by FESteward on Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Duplicate attachments

Post by Jon »

The double paper clips means you have more than one attachment, it could be 2, it could be 100.

Bookends only knows attachment names, not contents, so as far as it's concerned you have 3 entirely different files. You have to manage these yourself. You can detach them (and leave them in the attachment folder), or have Bookends move the ones you don't want to the trash, which will detach them (in Attachment Inspector).

Jon
Sonny Software
FESteward

Re: Duplicate attachments and red paper clip icon

Post by FESteward »

Wow--your response was so quick you wrote before I finished editing my post! Thank you.

I understand that you theoretically can delete them, I just haven't found out how. Could you please explain?

Also, I'm still curious about the red paper clip and why my attachments either got lost or didn't seem to get imported from Zotero.

Thanks,
Hilary
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

In the Attachment Inspector is one way -- select the ones you don't want and right-click -> Move To Trash.

You only see red paper clips if you've don't a search for orphaned attachments (attachments Bookends can't find). You can read about that in the User Guide.

Jon
Sonny Software
FESteward

Post by FESteward »

Jon wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:43 pm In the Attachment Inspector is one way -- select the ones you don't want and right-click -> Move To Trash.

You only see red paper clips if you've don't a search for orphaned attachments (attachments Bookends can't find). You can read about that in the User Guide.

Jon
Sonny Software
I'm still not sure why so many (in fact, I think all) of the attachments from Zotero didn't come through. And I'm not sure what to do now. Do I try and re-import my whole library again?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The PDF names were imported correctly but can't be found by Bookends? If so, did you move the PDFs to the Bookends default attachment folder in the Finder?

Jon
Sonny Software
FESteward

Post by FESteward »

Jon wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:33 pm The PDF names were imported correctly but can't be found by Bookends? If so, did you move the PDFs to the Bookends default attachment folder in the Finder?

Jon
Sonny Software
I used the export function from Zotero and then I think what I did was either to drag and drop the .ris document or import that document into Bookends.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Then check the default attachment folder. If the PDFs aren't there, move them yourself in the Finder.

Jon
Sonny Software
FESteward

Post by FESteward »

Jon wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:34 am Then check the default attachment folder. If the PDFs aren't there, move them yourself in the Finder.

Jon
Sonny Software
The default folder lists the title of the pdf and shows a paper clip. However, there are not files attached and I can't find them when I try to reattach them. In the I have several hundred pdfs to import, and each of them is embeded several folders deep in the Finder. Moving them over individually, manually, will take hours. Surely this is not how moving over files should work. Is there any other way?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please take this off forum and contact support@sonnysoftware.com

Jon
Sonny Software
FESteward

Post by FESteward »

Thanks so much for your help, I'm working on it and it is working well.