PDF proxy icon not functioning as intended

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
propofol

PDF proxy icon not functioning as intended

Post by propofol »

Hello,

I have a reference that has a PDF. Said PDF displays normally in Bookends and opens in external viewer normally, too. PDFs are stored in iCloud folder for iOS sync.

But, if I drag the PDF proxy icon from Bookends to a new email, the file shows up with a size of 0 kb.

If I instead open the PDF from Bookends (Show in Finder), I can drag the PDF from the Finder window to the email with no problems.

Am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks,

Phil
Jon
Site Admin

Re: PDF proxy icon not functioning as intended

Post by Jon »

Could be the OS is blocking this. Check that in System Preferences -> Privacy. And also give Bookends Full Disk Access.

Jon
Sonny Software

P.S. You can also click the email icon in the toolbar, which will attach the paper to the outgoing email. I don't know if it would be affect by the same issue you have with drag and drop, though.
propofol

Post by propofol »

Thanks for the reply.

The function through the toolbar (Email) does work.

Double clicking the proxy icon opens the PDF correctly in the default viewer.

But, even after checking the privacy section and ensuring full disk and folder access is allowed, I still cannot drag and drop.

Strange.

Any other thoughts?

One last thought from me: the proxy icon itself has a dotted line around it. Is that how it is supposed to look, or is that a visual indication of a problem?

Thanks,

Phil
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That's how it's supposed to look.

The only thing that can prevent this from working is some setting or process on your system (e.g. antvirus software). If it's not that or the OS security features I really don't know. Maybe someone else has a suggestion.

Jon
Sonny Software
nh220

Post by nh220 »

This is probably not super helpful but I had this problem with Outlook. It went away with an Outlook update. I didn’t have the same problem with Mail at the same time. This was maybe 4 months ago.