iCloud and PDFs

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
swilcox

iCloud and PDFs

Post by swilcox »

I hope I can explain this.

I currently have PDFs managed through Bookends and stored on iCloud, so my Bookends and PDFs are accessible on my iOS devices. I also use DevonThink 3 to *index* (not import) those PDFs. I understand from the DevonThink forum that having the PDFs stored in iCloud is not an ideal solution when DevonThink is indexing the PDFs. It would be better to have them stored locally.

In fact, I rarely access PDFs on my iOS devices these days. So moving to a locally stored folder wouldn't be bad for my current workflow.

My question is: how do a accomplish this? And I guess I should ask do I really want to do this? I'm simply trying to find the ideal solution for BOTH Bookends and DevonThink indexing.

Thanks in advance

--
Sherman
Jon
Site Admin

Re: iCloud and PDFs

Post by Jon »

PDFs in iCloud Drive ARE stored locally unless you've enabled macOS to move them to the cloud permanently (and if you do, Bookends will force their download again -- Bookends can't open PDFs that are only in the cloud).

If you don't use iOS to access the PDFs and you have one Mac, use the default PDF folder. If you sync two Macs, put them in the Dropbox folder (or whatever).

Jon
Sonny Software
kseggleton

Re: iCloud and PDFs

Post by kseggleton »

swilcox wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:22 pm I understand from the DevonThink forum that having the PDFs stored in iCloud is not an ideal solution when DevonThink is indexing the PDFs. It would be better to have them stored locally.
There is no problem in indexing an iCloud folder in DevonThink. The issue is in storing a DevonThink database in iCloud. I index the Bookends iCloud folder in DevonThink - no issues