[Feature Request] Use floating citations in the Notes stream

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Asutu

[Feature Request] Use floating citations in the Notes stream

Post by Asutu »

I don't know if this is even possible, but would be great to also trigger floating citations in the Notes stream. This would allow for things like:
#Note title
@1
> some quote
See also {Doe and Foe, 1001, #24718}
without having to leave the current reference to do a "Copy Citation" of other references. This could be potentially be relevant when exporting notes to other formats, making it easier to retrieve the information from Bookends (through applescript) and would also make possible to build a bibliography right off from the exported notecards (for example in Word).

Thanks,
Pedro
Jon
Site Admin

Re: [Feature Request] Use floating citations in the Notes stream

Post by Jon »

Sorry, I don't know what you're after.

You can already select one or more notecards and right-click to do

Copy Notecard
Copy Citation
Copy Notecard and Citation
Copy Notecard as Hyptertext Link

Jon
Sonny Software
Asutu

Post by Asutu »

Sorry for not being clear. I was actually referring to the ability to trigger floating citations by double tapping the trigger key when writing in a notecard (in the Notes stream). In this way it would be possible to search and insert matching references in the notecard, so we could end with something like

Code: Select all

{Doe and Foe, 1001, #24718}
(the curly braces are my currently selected delimiter for floating citations). For what I can underastand, floating citations perform a "Copy Citation", and this would be useful to insert a citation from another reference in the notes (not of the same reference as done by the right click "Copy Citation" of the notecard).
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That's a temp citation, not very useful in Bookends (it's for inserting in word processors). But I take your point. Floating citations are intended to allow you to seamlessly access your Bookends library while working in other apps. We won't be providing two different ways of accessing the database while you're in Bookends itself. You should look into reference crosslinking.

Jon
Sonny Software
Asutu

Post by Asutu »

Yes I completely understand.
You should look into reference crosslinking.
Is this something that's possible with Bookends? I searched the manual for crosslinking and crosslink and couldn't find anything.

Thanks,
Pedro
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Sure -- open the Inspector and you'll see a tab for creating and using reference links (it is described in detail in the User Guide, look through the TOC).

Jon
Sonny Software
Asutu

Post by Asutu »

Hmm, I see. In the Inspector I can link references together (which is useful and I used this from time to time), but it seems that's not possible to then pull a citation from a linked reference into a notecard. No worries, I might be able to hack something for my use case, but maybe could be something to consider.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It's not as smooth as you want, but you can select a reference and Edit -> Copy Hypertext Link as Text and paste it into a notecard. Then right-click on it and Make Link. Now it's a live link to whatever reference it came from (you have to open the notecard for editing to use it as a link). So it takes a few steps, but if it's useful it still saves a lot of work.

Jon
Sonny Software