Duplicate entries on import

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
JohnAtl

Duplicate entries on import

Post by JohnAtl »

I have Bookends watching a folder

Code: Select all

/Users/john/Documents/Articles\ for\ Bookends
When I put a PDF in the folder, Bookends imports it, but multiple entries are created, one of which has the article attached. I think this only happens when the metadata is not found online, but not positive.

Is there a way to resolve this?

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 1.13.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 1.13.14 PM.png (93.08 KiB) Viewed 5907 times
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Duplicate entries on import

Post by Jon »

I'd Rebuild the library first.

I've had occasional reports like this but have never been able to reproduce it. If you can narrow it down to some specific set of circumstances I can try again. But given that I've tried in the past I'm not hopeful.

Jon
Sonny Software
JohnAtl

Post by JohnAtl »

Created a new library.
Configured the same watch folder, and started watching.
Dropped the article linked below in the folder.
Two entries were created.

https://web.stanford.edu/~mgolub/public ... as-ARN.pdf
Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 3.24.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 3.24.26 PM.png (124.65 KiB) Viewed 5900 times
JohnAtl

Post by JohnAtl »

It seems to be associated with the metadata not being found.

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 3.29.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 3.29.06 PM.png (236.21 KiB) Viewed 5900 times
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please send me a PDF that causes this, then.

Jon
Sonny Software
JohnAtl

Post by JohnAtl »

There’s a link to it in my previous post.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I tried importing it from the watch folder twice, and as I suspected would happen, it was imported and attached to a single new record each time.

Jon
Sonny Software
JohnAtl

Post by JohnAtl »

Okay, let me know what other information I can provide, debug logs, etc.

Thanks
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I need to be able to reproduce this. Obviously there's something local that's causing this (and by local I mean it's a condition on your machine that is causing this, otherwise I and everyone else would see it). What that is I can't say (another process interfering, something about your network connection, etc.). But if you can narrow it down and (perhaps) reproduce it on another Mac that would be a help. You can contact tech support directly with that information if you can isolate it.

Jon
Sonny Software
roger

Post by roger »

Jon knows this already as he directed me to this thread when I reported the problem, but you (JohnAtl) are not alone. I get the same problem. I have had it before on a different machine, and thought the problem was solved, but it started again recently.

As Jon's advice is that it must be something about our machines, and I haven't a clue where to start looking, next time I reboot I might see whether the problem happens before I start up any other apps. I run TextExpander 4 in the background, and Synology Drive is continuously backing up the Attachments folder, so I tried pausing Synology Drive (the more likely culprit because it affects the folders BE is using?) but it made no difference. What I found interesting what that when I loaded one of the free (pre-1920) articles from the Journal of Political Economy in JSTOR, it picked up reference details, but when I went for a 1932 one (requiring login), it failed to find metadata, and duplicated the entry. Same journal and source, but some have accessible metadata, others do not.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You should be able to rule out (or in) 3rd party processes by trying this after rebooting in Safe mode (Shift key held down).

Jon
Sonny Software
roger

Post by roger »

I will do this when I have finished work for the day. Thanks for the advice.
JohnAtl

Post by JohnAtl »

roger wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:28 am As Jon's advice is that it must be something about our machines, and I haven't a clue where to start looking
You shouldn't have to fix or find the source of these problems yourself, that's the developer's responsibility.

I finally resolved this problem and others I've reported by upgrading to Zotero.org.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Since refactoring (rewriting) the watch folder code in 13.5.2 I haven't had any reports of this issue, so it may be resolved for good. Since I was never able to reproduce it, and it only affected a small number of users, I can't be sure, but we'll keep an eye on it.

Jon
Sonny Software
tristanlane

Post by tristanlane »

I’ve had this with upgrading my wife from papers to bookends (zotero was trialled briefly but is like using PSPP instead of Stata - a nice idea but useless for us).

I think it’s because I’ve caused a duplicate import in reality - imported from papers and then because I’m nervous about missing papers in my wife’s library dropped them in for good measure. Now I have attached files without metadata and then the actual references as well...

Yes it will take time to sort but then her library will be nicely sorted as opposed to it’s current state!