Using multiple citation modifiers?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
nh220

Using multiple citation modifiers?

Post by nh220 »

I am trying to figure out a way to have a final citation be excluded from the bibliography and appear without its brackets (). For the former, I understand I can insert $ right after the initial curly bracket. For the latter, I know I can change the reference format so it does not have brackets, but I need this to be specific to one reference type only -- meaning using the * modifier.

So I can type {$Abbott et al., 2014, #20} for the first scenario, and {*Abbott et al., 2014, #20} for the second, but is there a way to combine these? I tried to put {$*Abbott et al., 2014, #20} (and the inverse) in Word but got an out of bonds error (the scan completed but only the first of the modifiers "took"). Is it not possible two combine two (or more) of these citation modifiers?

(I know I can accomplish this in Mellel by using $ in the temporary citation and ticking the "Don't enclose formatted citation" in the Edit Citation box--a solution that works well--but for this particular project I need to use Word.)

The use case is to a heavily customized version of Chicago (Author-Date) that uses Bluebook style citations for foreign and international legal materiel (following CMOS 15.31 and 15.58).
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Using multiple citation modifiers?

Post by Jon »

In general you cannot combine the citation modifiers. Since you don't want the citation in the bibliography this sounds like a case where it is just simpler to have Bookends place the final citation in the text where you want it (e.g. Copy Formatted instead of Copy Citation).

Jon
Sonny Software
nh220

Re: Using multiple citation modifiers?

Post by nh220 »

Thanks Jon - this is (obviously) a much more straightforward solution than what I was looking for.