Extra spaces after Author Surname

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
laup

Extra spaces after Author Surname

Post by laup »

For my main-stay format (but not for others), my bibliography is now coming out with two spaces after each author's surname. This occurs for multiple types of reference. I did not have such problems previously. I see nothing wrong in the format definitions. My guess is that at some point I changed some preference or setting, but I don't know what. I am hoping that someone else made the same error and will remember.

The problem arises when using either Mellel or Microsoft Word.
laup

Re: Extra spaces after Author Surname

Post by laup »

Solution, although mystery remains.

In the format-setting window, there is a tab "Name Punctuation." I changed the item for "After surnames" to have no spaces after the comma; I then looked at the resulting bibliography, which indeed had no spaces after the first author's surname. I then changed the item back to where it should have been initially, with a comma and a space. All is now well.

I do not remember having touched this setting previously, so I remain bewildered. Perhaps some other adjustment I made affected this setting as a side-effect? Or perhaps I'm going nuts, which is always possible.