"Copy citation" and permissions in Security and Privacy

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
laup

"Copy citation" and permissions in Security and Privacy

Post by laup »

For quite a long time, whenever I have updated Bookends and Mellel, I have lost the ability to use "Add citation". I have resolved the problem by deleting applications and preferences, saving custom folders, and resinstalling, but that is tedious and risks losing things. The problem apparently is not Bookends or Mellel, but something involving AppleEvents and Apple's controls under System Preferences/Privacy/Automation. As I write this, that control panel allows Bookends to talk with Mellel and vice versa, but "Add Citation" doesn't work. Has anyone else encountered this problem and perhaps figured out a way to solve it easily)

I am using OS 10.14.6, Mojave as well as today's versions of Mellel and Bookends.

P.S., other functionality of the Bookends Mellel linkage continues to work. The "Copy Citation" feature is merely a nice-to-have, but...nice to have.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: "Copy citation" and permissions in Security and Privacy

Post by Jon »

I can't explain that. But others have found that sometimes unchecking and then rechecking the apps in the Privacy -> Automation tab is necessary to get things to work properly.

Jon
Sonny Software
laup

Re: "Copy citation" and permissions in Security and Privacy

Post by laup »

You say "sometimes." That has been my experience. This morning, it didn't. However,I repeated the process now and it did work. What I did:

• Open Mellel and Bookends
• Turn off the permissions in System Preferences/Privacy/Apps
• Quit both apps
• Open both apps
• Turn on permissions
To my surprise, it worked.

Perhaps this particular sequence is necessary.

Thanks