Link to specific pdf page

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
aroddick

Link to specific pdf page

Post by aroddick »

Apologies if this is a ridiculous request, but I note that several programs (including Devonthink and PDFPen) now have the possibility of creating links to specific pages in a PDF. (And I know that the program Hook is building this into some of their linking abilities). As I rely heavily on Bookends for all my PDF storage and reading, it would be a hug improvement to be able to create links to specific places in PDF documents. Any chance this could be implemented in the future? Thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Link to specific pdf page

Post by Jon »

Not sure how to do this outside of Bookends. Bookends already keeps track of what page you're on (switch between refs with PDFs displayed and you'll see it scrolls to where you were last). Links to PDFs from outside apps, not so clear how that could be done.

Jon
Sonny Software
Bernardo

Post by Bernardo »

Not sure if this helps in any way, but other apps append the page to the link, so it could be something like this:

Code: Select all

bookends://sonnysoftware.com/27709?page=20
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It's more complicated, of course. What if there is more than one PDF attachment, for example? And the UI would need to be made more complex. As I've pointed out elsewhere on this forum, Bookends is reference-centric, not PDF-centric, and that's reflected in the UI. Bookends already links notecards to pages (to the actual annotation, in fact), so once you're in the reference it's just one click to go to whatever page you annotated.

Jon
Sonny Software
Bernardo

Post by Bernardo »

Indeed, this seems like a problem in the sense that it would involve attributing specific ids to PDF attachments different from the id belonging to the reference.
aroddick

Post by aroddick »

Ok, thanks Jon. There are other ways I can make this work in my workflow - and as you say, I should still be able to find things pretty rapidly.