Bookends becomes very slow to respond when trying to edit highlight colour.

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
tonywatkins

Bookends becomes very slow to respond when trying to edit highlight colour.

Post by tonywatkins »

I've noticed a couple of times that if I try to option-click on a highlight colour to change it, the colour picker opens immediately, but then it becomes extremely unresponsive. It takes several minutes before I can do anything again. Before I started this message I selected a new colour in the colour picker, waited a while, tried to click elsewhere in BE, and tried to scroll the PDF. Then I came here, search for highlights in the forum, read a couple of threads, wrote this, and the colour picker is still showing, although the PDF finally scrolled just a little. Is this a problem with my installation or a bug?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Bookends becomes very slow to respond when trying to edit highlight colour.

Post by Jon »

I don't know what version of Bookends or macOS you're running, but I believe that some time ago there was an issue with the Color Picker that arose with an OS upgrade. I see no problems now (and haven't had any reports from others). If there is an issue, it's not with Bookends. Bookends simply asks the OS to put up the Color Picker, what happens next is done by the system.

Jon
Sonny Software
tonywatkins

Post by tonywatkins »

Thanks, Jon. I'm running Bookends 13.5.1 on Mac OS 11.2. I've not seen any issues with the colour picker in other apps.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Since I can't reproduce it, and no one else is reporting this, I'm left to conclude it's something specific to your system. Try another Mac if you can.

Jon
Sonny Software
tonywatkins

Post by tonywatkins »

OK. Thanks.
zvh

Post by zvh »

Hi Jon,

Not sure if this was ever resolved, but I can report that I'm experiencing the same issue with selecting new colors for both highlights and labels. The color picker pops up, but then everything in Bookends begins to lag severely and I'm completely unable to change the color--or, rather, all 5 highlight colors will suddenly change to the color I'm attempting to make one of the highlight colors (on like the 15th try). I've just tested the color picker in almost a half dozen other apps and am not experiencing any issues outside of Bookends. I'm running what I think is the most recent version of Big Sur (11.2.3).

Let me know if I can provide any other info.

Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I've tried this running Mojave, Catalina, and Big Sur and can't reproduce the problem you're having.

Please reboot in safe mode (Shift key held down) to see if there is some process on your system that's interfering.

Jon
Sonny Software
zvh

Post by zvh »

Hi Jon,

I've just tested and can verify that the issue persists in safe mode. I'm entirely unable to change highlight or label colors and everything lags terribly when I unsuccessfully attempt to do so.

Best,
Zach
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please contact tech support directly at support@sonnysoftware.com.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I think this will be fixed in the next update.

Jon
Sonny Software