Delete from Group and Main Library

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
playoctopus

Delete from Group and Main Library

Post by playoctopus »

Hi there, I am using Bookends to Manage my PhD lit review. I have created folders for my search terms and now going through a process of 'sifting' the articles. I wondered how I can remove a record in the main library from deleting the record in the specific group? The article gets removed on delete from the group easy enough, but it remains in the main library.

Thanks in advance
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Delete from Group and Main Library

Post by Jon »

Select the reference in the main reference list and press Delete. It will be automatically deleted from the group, too (because it's no longer in the database). Note that deletion from the database is permanent.

Jon
Sonny Software
playoctopus

Post by playoctopus »

Thanks Jon, but I'm using the groups as a way to collect the imports -> say I perform a search on scopus, I download the search as a .bib file, import it add it to the group for the keyword/search, then use that group to clean up the entires once reading through the abstracts or PDF's in bookends. Is there another way to do this, maybe with smart groups or something so it deletes from the main window? Just to save me double deleting and having to go between the group and main window
playoctopus

Post by playoctopus »

playoctopus wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:31 am Thanks Jon, but I'm using the groups as a way to collect the imports -> say I perform a search on scopus, I download the search as a .bib file, import it add it to the group for the keyword/search, then use that group to clean up the entires once reading through the abstracts or PDF's in bookends. Is there another way to do this, maybe with smart groups or something so it deletes from the main window? Just to save me double deleting and having to go between the group and main window
The other option I considered was just downloading a CSV, cleaning it up in excel, then importing that in to bookends once I've done the sifting?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

First, clear the Hits List (Hits menu).

Then click on your group and mark each reference you want to delete (check the box). When you're finished, click on the Hits group, select all the references in the main pane, then press Delete.

Jon
Sonny Software
playoctopus

Post by playoctopus »

Awesome! Thanks
playoctopus

Post by playoctopus »

Jon wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:24 am First, clear the Hits List (Hits menu).

Then click on your group and mark each reference you want to delete (check the box). When you're finished, click on the Hits group, select all the references in the main pane, then press Delete.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon, one more question on this...I need to provide exclusion criteria, so working in the excel sheet first appears to be best. Once I've got a clean list of references is there anyway to import the excel sheet (by mapping columns) in to Bookends? I will have the relevant DOI as a field so even being able to import the list of DOI's would be great.

Thanks in advance
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You can do a round trip with a reference from Bookends -> Excel -> Bookends using tab-delimited export/import. You might try that.

Jon
Sonny Software
playoctopus

Post by playoctopus »

Thanks