Bookends webkit caches - safe to delete?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
taja

Bookends webkit caches - safe to delete?

Post by taja »

I'm running out of storage space on my Mac's small SSD. Some maintenance software has picked out, amongst other things, caches for a few applications that are particularly large: Apple Music, my browser and Bookends, which is at 1.97GB. Is it safe to delete the Webkit cache? I know this is a partly futile exercise, as it will gradually recreate itself. But presumably that will take a while.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Bookends webkit caches - safe to delete?

Post by Jon »

What is the name of the Bookends cache file that was identified? And what is the full path to it?

Jon
Sonny Software
taja

Post by taja »

It's a folder rather than a specific file. Library/Caches/com.sonnysoftware.bookends/Webkit/Networkcache/Version 16. In that folder there are two further folders: 'Blobs' (886 MB) and 'Records' (1.04 GB).
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Didn't even know that was there. It must be created by the OS when the WebKit API is used.

FWIW, my cache is only 24 MB, and it was last modified in November 2019. We completely rewrote our browser code, and I wonder if this is obsolete now.

I'm sure you can train it safely. If you want to be sure, move it to the Desktop and then run Bookends. If Bookends Browser works normally you can go ahead and delete it.

Jon
Sonny Software
taja

Post by taja »

Thanks Jon. Thought that might be the case. Have deleted and the browser works fine.