Problems scanning document for bibliography

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
emc22

Problems scanning document for bibliography

Post by emc22 »

Hello,

I have been using Bookends for years and love it. However, I recently tried to scan a word doc (Microsoft Word 16.46) using the Bookends tab on both my 2020 Mac Book Air and 2018 Mac mini (running Big Sur v. 11.2.1) and have run into troubles:

1. I can only scan the document once before it stops running the scan or unscan. Sometimes, when I try to scan again, it starts the scan and then ends up with 1 blank page (none of the original text).
2. If I restart the computer, I can do another single scan. It has to be a restart, not just closing the programs.
3. I am having difficulties scanning using a bibliography format that I have modified. It only wants to accepts the formats originally included in Bookends.

I had run some test scans a few weeks ago and was able to scan and unseen with no issues.

I really hope there is a way to get around this. Thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Problems scanning document for bibliography

Post by Jon »

It's possible that there is some problem with your custom formats, especially if they were made long ago. I'd try recreating the custom format, starting from one of ours, and see if that works reliably now.

Jon
Sonny Software
emc22

Post by emc22 »

Thanks for the tip. I restarted the computer and was able to scan with the BMJ format and also with Chicago 17th. I cannot "unscan" the doc, but it will change formats with a second or subsequent, scan. The BMJ modified format I created did not work, and gave me the blank page after scanning. I put it in the trash and made a new copy in the finder, then re-opened the biblio format manager. When I tried to scan using the brand new format, I got the blank page again. It appears that any change to a format, including recreating a custom format, results in the blank page.
Thanks for your help.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please contact tech support directly: support@sonnysoftware.com

Jon
Sonny Software
bhopmann

Post by bhopmann »

I can confirm this error (using same version of Word and macOS).
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The format is a red herring. This is the explanation.

https://www.sonnysoftware.com/Issues/issues.html

Jon
Sonny Software
bhopmann

Post by bhopmann »

Jon, thank you for your reply.
I'm using a document (10 pages) without images, so there's probably no size limitation. Also, "track changes" isn't activated. I have also tried saving and scanning the document in RTF-Format - but no success.

Do you have some other hints looking into this error?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I don't know exactly what you're seeing, but this FAQ may help.

https://www.sonnysoftware.com/faq/faq.h ... rting_a_ci

Jon
Sonny Software
bhopmann

Post by bhopmann »

Thank you, Jon, the clue for me was hidden behind this sentence from the FAQ (https://www.sonnysoftware.com/faq/faq.h ... rting_a_ci):
The immediate solution is to perform a Paste (Command-V) yourself.
I'm using CopyLess 2 for inserting and managing items from the clipboard. When inserting without formatting is activated, Bookends stucks, otherwise Bookends sucessfully scans the citations. So, now I know, that Bookends only does it's job together with Word, when formatting within CopyLess 2 is deactivated.
JCwrites

Post by JCwrites »

I've got similar problems - I have spend DAYS (yes really) - scanning, deleting, rebooting, etc
(And yes, Ive looked at the FAQ)
(Cannot scan as rtf because the Journal Editor wants a tracked copy as well as a final clean revised version - rtf scanning removes all tracking)

Yes - I've turned off tracking, and all mark-up ,, no help.

There is some problem with BE and Word (yes, it may be at the Word end, but has halted my output for two weeks now and its no good) ,,(

The Word Doc is not big (about 65 kb), no images, no complex text, two tables, no fancy formatting.
Using Office 365 - Journal I need to return article to insists on Word doc - so cannot use Mellel or Scrivener

I scan it ,, and all sorts of things happen ,, including pages of text gone ,, references moved and incoherent - thought the Biography is ok

Really, I need some help
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

This is an issue for tech support, not the forum. Please contact tech support directly with the document, your library, and the format you are using.

Jon
Sonny Software