syncing preferences

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
danzac

syncing preferences

Post by danzac »

Any chance we might see the preferences be included alongside the other custom files to sync ? It would certainly make the syncing another step easier for multiple macs
~I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager people would laugh as they saw me coming and applaud as I walked away~
Jon
Site Admin

Re: syncing preferences

Post by Jon »

We already sync a number of global variables. See p. 24 of the User Guide.

Which others would you want?

Jon
Sonny Software
danzac

Post by danzac »

Hmm, okay. I wonder if I had just done something wrong. I am syncing my custom files via Dropbox, and sync my library and attachments with iCloud. But I had to manually do my reference types and my color labels.
~I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager people would laugh as they saw me coming and applaud as I walked away~
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

By sync library with iCloud what do you mean? Are you using Bookends built-in cloud sync (good)? Or did you put your library in iCloud Drive yourself and sync the entire file (bad)?

Jon
Sonny Software
danzac

Post by danzac »

No, I'm syncing via iCloud according to the user guide set up.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Then do the experiment. Change a reference Type in preferences and sync. After syncing the other Mac does it appear there?

Jon
Sonny Software
danzac

Post by danzac »

Will do and will report back
lanier8888

Post by lanier8888 »

I have this issue as well. I'm using the built-in iCloud sync, which works for my bibliographic data, attachments, and labels, but custom types and formats do not sync across my devices. For example, I created a type called "primary sources," changed some field names, and adjusted the citation format. Then I set up a smart group for all primary sources. A screenshot is below.
Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 2.06.38 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 2.06.38 PM.jpg (151.31 KiB) Viewed 2983 times
But here is how the same group looks on my other computer. After syncing, the group has carried over, but the type and formatting haven't. Any suggestions? Thank you!
Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 2.10.04 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 2.10.04 PM.jpg (172 KiB) Viewed 2983 times
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please download 13.5.5 again, this should be fixed in a silent update. Note that you'll have to edit one Type or field name to force a new sync. Just add a delete a space, that should do it.

Jon
Sonny Software