Link to another ref. in Notecard

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
MoMo

Link to another ref. in Notecard

Post by MoMo »

I use notestream a lot and it's great. However I can't figure out how to link to another reference inside Bookend.

Example: I'm reading and marking and making notes in notestream for reference A, in one of the notecards I want to refer to reference B (both A & B are in Bookend).

From reading the User Guide I know that you can 'copy hypertext link' for any reference you have in BE, but when I do this for reference B, and when I try to paste into the notecard in reference A, this happens:
1) if I 'copy hypertext link' -> 'copy as link', then paste in the notecard, the link becomes plain text and just pastes in the title of the reference (i.e. not a live link)
2) if I 'copy hypertext link' -> 'copy as text', then paste in the notecard, this does paste in the URI, but once I exit out of the notecard editing mode, the notecard becomes blank (except '...' in there), even the URI disappeared. I have to enter the edit mode of the notecard to see the URI, select the URI itself, right click, click on 'Open URL' to actually go to the link.

Is there a more efficient way of doing this? On page 106 of the current User Guide (v 13.5.1), it says:
'A contextual menu (right-click on the note stream) lets you access many of these functions. In addition, the contextual menu will contain any URIs in the notecard, which you can then select and open. This includes URIs to other references in Bookends, created with the Edit -> Copy Hypertext Link -> Copy AsText menu.' But so far I couldn't reproduce this. The link only works if I enter edit mode of the notecard, THEN select the link, THEN click on Open Link. If I just click on the notecard itself, there's no URI appearing in the context menu. In fact, unless I enter the edit mode of the notecard, I couldn't even see the URI.

Any help appreciated.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Link to another ref. in Notecard

Post by Jon »

I'll have to look more carefully, but if you paste the link in as text, double click to open the notecard and right click on the link -> Open URL. That takes you to the other reference.

I agree this could be improved.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I see the problem. In the next update right-clicking on the notecard will again show all thinks in that notecard (e.g. you could link to 3 refs and 2 web sites, all 5 will be selectable).

Jon
Sonny Software
MoMo

Post by MoMo »

Great! perfect. thanks Jon.
MoMo

Post by MoMo »

Hi Jon,
I just updated to 13.5.2, but when right click on the notecard I still don't get the link. I've tried both with a link to another ref, and just with a regular website url (e.g. www.google.com).
could you have another look? thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please contact tech support directly, and send your library with an example that doesn't work for you.

Jon
Sonny Software