Copy citation uses reference, not citation format?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
junction10

Copy citation uses reference, not citation format?

Post by junction10 »

Hi,

Not sure if this is how it's supposed to work or if I'm missing something..

I have created a copy of the Harvard format and saved a modified version of it as my university requires slightly different formatting to the formats included in the built in format file..

I've edited the reference and citation formats for some of the types, but when I choose "copy citation" or click/drag the reference into Scrivener, it's copying the reference - not the citation format.. I've checked "Preferences" and enabled the Copy Citation option to use the .fmt file I've made, but it's still sending the full reference instead of (Author Date: page)..

What am I doing wrong please?

Citation format:

Code: Select all

a. d:  p-
Ref Format:

Code: Select all

a. d. v. u2$ edn.$ ($Ed++, $e) l: u, $pp.$p-.
Thanks!

J.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Copy citation uses reference, not citation format?

Post by Jon »

If you specify your own format for creating, Bookends will use the settings for the bibliography. So in that custom citation, enter

a. d: p-

in the Bibliography Options order field.

Jon
Sonny Software

P.S. Using a custom citation to create your temp citations is a power user feature and it's up to you to ensure there are no possibilities of ambiguity or mismatches. I suggest you stick with a built in option, preferably Author, Date, Unique ID.
Philologist

Post by Philologist »

junction10 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:03 am I've checked "Preferences" and enabled the Copy Citation option to use the .fmt file I've made
Well, that's exactly what you are NOT supposed to do! From the drop-down menu in Preferences > Scan & Bib > Copy Citation use instead one of the three first options to create a temporary citation in your document:
(1) Content
(2) Author, Date, Unique ID
(3) Autor, Date, PMID

Here is an example. If the author's name is "Byock" then
(1) the temporary citation may look like {Byock, 2001, Penguin History, XXI, 447}
(2) will give you {Byock, 2001, #51050}
(3) will give you {Byock, 2001}

You won't get Author Date: page until you *scan* your document. (An exception from this is Cite while you write (in Word) and Live Bibliography (in Mellel)
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Thank you, Philologist, for reenforcing that message. You're exactly right.

One small correction in your examples, though. Citing by Author, Date, PMID is for people who obtain their references from PubMed. In this case each reference has a PubMed ID (PMID) and the temp citations will look something like this:

{Byock, 2001, 432341234}

Jon
Sonny Software
Philologist

Post by Philologist »

Jon wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:28 pm Citing by Author, Date, PMID is for people who obtain their references from PubMed. In this case each reference has a PubMed ID (PMID) and the temp citations will look something like this:
{Byock, 2001, 432341234}
I never use PubMed. When I cite Author, Date, PMID the result I get for a temporary citation is always Author, Year (and u18, my commentary field, if it's not empty.) Therefore I thought citing by Author, Date, PMID would still be OK without a PubMed ID, but having done some tests today I realize it's a bad idea because seeing only the Author and a Year Bookends naturally gets confused and asks for confirmation, sometimes even from a list of works I didn't even cite in the document (but having the same Year.)

Thanks for clarifying and setting this straight. :–)