Subsequent citation citing first citation?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Marsilius

Subsequent citation citing first citation?

Post by Marsilius »

Pardon if this is answered somewhere else:
I am submitting for a journal that wants subsequent citations to refer to the first one, as in:
(See Note #1)

Is there a way to do this in Bookends, or do I just need to add it later when all is done?

Thanks
Philologist

Re: Subsequent citation citing first citation?

Post by Philologist »

By "Note" I understand you mean "footnote." Am I right?
I'm not sure whether Bookends can do this. If not, I would do the following as a walk-around. It requires that your word processor can insert cross-references to a footnote.

1) As a subsequent citation option enter `See Note No.` into Bookends.
2) Enter a temporary subsequent citation into your document. (It will look like the first occurrence.)
3) Bookmark the Note Reference of the first occurrence in your document and then enter a cross-reference as a number after the subsequent temporary citation.
4) When you scan the document all the text of the first occurrence will be replaced by "See Note No. " (without the quotes) and the cross-reference number will be left untouched. The cross-reference number is a hot link.
Marsilius

Post by Marsilius »

Thank you for this reply. I will try your suggestion and let you know how it works.
I did mean footnote, and forgot to mention that I am using Mellel, so this should be doable.
Philologist

Post by Philologist »

this should be doable
Regardless whether you have Live Bibliography enabled or not, this is fairly easy to do in Mellel. To make your custom format perfect, also enter "See Note No." (without the quotes) into the following field:

1.png
1.png (46.49 KiB) Viewed 3390 times
Marsilius

Post by Marsilius »

I will try this! I assume I will also want to keep "a, s" in that box to have the short title.
Marsilius

Post by Marsilius »

I know just enough to try this and make a mess :)

There is an issue for me here:
If I use literal text, my short citation goes down to "a, s. See Note No., 32-33"
Screen Shot 2021-03-13 at 8.42.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-13 at 8.42.34 AM.png (12.07 KiB) Viewed 3388 times
If I use field then I just get the short followed by full citation
Screen Shot 2021-03-13 at 8.41.53 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-13 at 8.41.53 AM.png (36.51 KiB) Viewed 3388 times
Philologist

Post by Philologist »

I assume I will also want to keep "a, s" in that box to have the short title.
We need to clarify one thing: how do you want your first citation to look like? Is it supposed to contain the same information as in the final bibliography? Or will it somehow be abbreviated? With a short title, for example? If yes, then you can of course use "a, s" in the field for the first occurrence.

You said that subsequent citations should always have no other information than "See Note No." plus the number of the footnote where the citation first appears.

This is therefore how it should look like:
1.png
1.png (80.09 KiB) Viewed 3381 times

If we cite the same book twice in a row, with no other book in between, we would normally use "ibid" (or something similar) as citation. Example:

1. Donald Trump: My Years in the White House as a Russian Spy. Moscow 2021.
2. ibid, p. 12

But since you want *all* subsequent citations to have the format "See Note No." you must also enter this text into the following field.
2.png
2.png (46.49 KiB) Viewed 3381 times
Marsilius

Post by Marsilius »

I am entering the FIRST citation as a full one.
Then the subsequent ones as Short Title (s)

I am also currently suffering from the fact that my "short titles" in Chicago 17a seem to not be engaging in my Mellel doc.

This always happens to me when I am writing for a new journal: I forget how to do everything . . .

Thanks for your patience, and I would say your book title is more rousing than any I have.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please download 13.5.2 again, the problem with the subsequent order field not being used has been fixed.

Jon
Sonny Software
Philologist

Post by Philologist »

Marsilius wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:57 pm I am entering the FIRST citation as a full one.
Then the subsequent ones as Short Title (s)
Short Title? or Author, Short Title? You must be consistent!

You said the journal wants subsequent citations to refer to the first one, as in See Note #1.
To me it now seems you want "See Note #" to be automatically ADDED to subsequent citations. If that's correct, then the Subsequent (Optional) field must look like this:

a, s$.$ $See Note No. $

As soon as a subsequent citation with "See Note #" is entered in Mellel, bookmark the citation where it appears for the first time and then cross-reference it.
1.png
1.png (85.48 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
It should then look like this in Mellel:
2.png
2.png (118.91 KiB) Viewed 3368 times
Marsilius

Post by Marsilius »

Pardon my inconsistency. Philologist, this works very well, and I now know how to do this Mellel.

Thank you for help with the short titles, Jon. I was indeed thrown by that issue.

Thank you again!