ISSUE: Can't create sub-sub attachment folders

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
richlyon

ISSUE: Can't create sub-sub attachment folders

Post by richlyon »

Hello all. I'm currently evaluating interoperability between Bookends and DEVONthink (DT). If I'm going to store PDFs outside of DT, I'll have to be able to control attachment folder structure. Bookends manual P.126/7 appears to indicate that the structure below the default attachment folder can be arbitrary, provides "New Subfolder" and "Rebuild Folder List" commands, and the ability to specify the subfolder to use on a per-file basis.

Unfurtunately, I can only get it to recognise subfolders at the level immediately below the default folder root. "New Subfolder" applied to a subfolder will create a subsubfolder in the file system, but that subsubfolder isn't reflected in the Bookends dialgue box, even when "Rebuild Folder List" is issued. Nor are any subsubfolders visible in "File / Set Attachment Subfolder".

Am I misunderstanding this? Is there some other way of controlling where attachments are located? It's a show stopper unfortunately until I can figure out how this is suppoed to work.

I'm on version 13.5.1 on a Mac mini M1 running macOS 11.2.3.

(NOTE: In my experience, MacOS is getting weirder and weirder in the matter of security and permissions as time goes on. The root folder is on a permanently attached SSD and I have considered the possibility that it is some sort of permissions thing, but I've replicated the issue on a default attachment folder located on the internal drive)

Thanks in advance for your help
Jon
Site Admin

Re: ISSUE: Can't create sub-sub attachment folders

Post by Jon »

In 13.5.1 you can have only one level of subfolder in the Attachment folder.

But you should look at 13.5.2, in which this code was rewritten. See the Update History page

https://www.sonnysoftware.com/updates/u ... story.html

The relevant item is

• You are able to use default attachment folder subfolders to any depth when attaching files
This was previously limited to just root level subfolders.

Jon
Sonny Softtware
richlyon

Re: ISSUE: Can't create sub-sub attachment folders

Post by richlyon »

Many thanks Jon - I've upgraded. I'm ashamed to say I had no idea how powerful it is - well done.