Bookends not recognizing identical sources

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
kleefe

Bookends not recognizing identical sources

Post by kleefe »

The User Guide states the following: "Ibid. (with the period) is used when two references to the same work follow one another without any intervening references. This is used for footnotes, but not bibliographies. For two different references in the library to be considered the same source, the following fields must be identical: Authors, Editors, Title, Journal, and Volume" (Bookends User Guide, v. 13.5.2, p. 223).

Now I made two completely identical sources. I made a document in Mellel with two references (in footnotes) that follow each other with no intervening reference. The user guide made me to expect that the second reference would be output as "Ibid." Instead, I get two identical citations, only one with the letter a after the year and the second one with the letter b after the year. If I refer twice to the same record, Ibid works as expected.

Is this a bug, Bookends not recognizeing two identical sources, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Eric
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Bookends not recognizing identical sources

Post by Jon »

You have 2 different references that are otherwise identical except for their unique id's? If so, Bookends will treat them as different references in the bibliography. But why would you do that? I'm probably missing something.

I think the documentation is incorrect about the metadata being used for this purpose. Bookends checks to see if the same reference, as judged by its id, is being cited. I'll update the user guide.

Jon
Sonny Software