Make Bookends open in the group I was last working in

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Philologist

Make Bookends open in the group I was last working in

Post by Philologist »

Feature request:
Every time I start Bookends it defaults back to the All-Group instead of opening in the group I was last working in. This is just a pain in the butt.

Wouldn't it be possible to automatically save the working location before I quit the program? This is particularly annoying if one has hundreds of groups and subgroups.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Make Bookends open in the group I was last working in

Post by Jon »

Unlikely, but never say never. Note that you don't have to scroll through hundreds of groups (in case you didn't know that). Click on the groups pane header, type the enough letters of the group's name to make it unique, and press Return. Bookends will take you to that group.

Jon
Sonny Software

P.S. Another tip that may or may not be of interest is that you can right-click to sort groups alphabetically, which may help navigation as well. With hundreds of groups, I'd do this on a COPY of the library first, to make sure it's useful.
Philologist

Post by Philologist »

Thank you Jon for reminding me about this additional option. I was actually aware that one can filter groups, but it may take quite a while (the turning beach ball!), and besides that I am visually orientated and I often don't remember the exact title of the group! Sorting groups alphabetically would therefore not help. :–)

All my groups are hierarchical groups, because that is how I (and perhaps most other people?) think. As an example, I have one group for France with subgroups French history, French politics, French philosophy (with numerous subgroups), French films, etc. For other countries that I am interested in I have the same group structure.
Every good word processor can automatically save the location where I left off, and when I open the program again I can go on right away at the point where I left off. I wish Bookends could do that too.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bookends does that too, it remembers the reference you were last working on and shows it to you when the library opens. But not the group.

Finding a group should be instantaneous. Please Rebuild your library. If you still find it takes a very long time please send me your library (or a link to it on a server) so I can test it here.

Jon
Sonny Software