Attachment Disaster

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
jzents

Attachment Disaster

Post by jzents »

I think this is probably my fault, so I'm just asking for help, not pointing fingers. My original idea was to have a folder that I called Other's Papers in which would be sub folders for each author for whom I had one or more paper (I'm assuming PDFs all the way down here). Then Bookends would copy the file to wherever it wanted it to and organize it how it wanted to be attached to Bookends. Then if I ever needed or wanted to run an additional reference manager, like, say, Endnote because I needed to work with people on windows or something like that, it would reach into the same central depository in Other's Papers and copy what it needed into it's particular folder in order to set up its references. Some of my references are in the Bookends default attachment folder, so for some time it was going OK. Then for reasons that I don't fully understand (because it's probably includes me being an idiot) Bookends is now seeing its attachments in folders inside of Other's Papers. However they're not even in the right subfolder for the author. I have found several that are in the wrong sub folder. Like I said, I don't think this is Bookends fault, this is me screwing up. I figure I'm going to have to undo this manually. By the way, in preferences the attachment folder is now set, and this is why I think it's my fault, to "other" and the path is to the other's papers folder. Any ideas on what's the best way to sort out this mess? I figure a lot of it's going to have to be done manually. I just don't want to confuse Bookends further.
Jeff Zents
South Texas College
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Attachment Disaster

Post by Jon »

So you don't want Bookends to see the attachments in Other's Papers, is that right? If so, change the default attachment folder to what it whatever it was before (best if it is the factory default, but not necessary). If Bookends still sees attachments in the Other's Papers folder, click on the Manage Ad Hoc Attachment Folders and remove Other's Papers from the list. Now Bookends won't search that folder.

If there's more to this and I'm missing something, let me know.

Jon
Sonny Software
jzents

Post by jzents »

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear. It's not that I don't want BE to see the Other's Papers folder, it's just that I wanted it to use it as a source out of which to copy attachments that I linked to references. I didn't want it to store its attachments in that folder (ideally, I do not want any ref manager to store its attachments in there). But I guess because of some goof I made, it's been storing some of its attachments in that folder, but for reasons I don't fully comprehend, not even in the right sub folder. So for example inside Other's Papers is a folder called Pasnau, Robert which is were I put several pdfs of some of his papers. I then added those to BE. But I noticed that where BE has the attachment is in a subfolder called Kaplan, Mark. How or why that is the case I do not know and I do not expect you to speculate. I wondered if you or anyone has a good idea of how to undo this mess.
Jeff Zents
South Texas College
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Change the default attachment folder to something else.

Then, add one attachment from the folder Other's Papers. Bookends will now treat Other's Papers as an ad hoc attachment folder. That means it can find PDFs stored there, but it will not *move* PDFs there. They will be moved to the default folder? Does that get you what you want?

You can examine ad hoc attachment folders in Preferences, and delete any that are incorrect or obsolete.

Jon
Sonny Software