Replace citations of another reference manager (Zotero) in an already-written-word-doc

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
med

Replace citations of another reference manager (Zotero) in an already-written-word-doc

Post by med »

Hello,

I have a paper written in Word with Zotero for citations. I have recently switched back to Bookends and would like to replace the embedded citations to work with Bookends. Is there a way to replace the Zotero citations with Bookends? For example, change the superscript ¹ linked to Zotero to a Bookends Bibliography.

I have tried to google and search this forum, but I may not be inputting the correct search terms to find a potential solution.

Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Replace citations of another reference manager (Zotero) in an already-written-word-doc

Post by Jon »

I really don't know much about Zotero's citations. But I just took a look and their temporary citations look like this (generated with Copy Citation in Zotero):

(Umelo-Njaka, Nomellini, Yim, et al. 2001; Patterson 2001; Jacobs, Hung, and Shapiro 2001; Umelo-Njaka, Nomellini, Bingle, et al. 2001; Brun 2001; Awram and Smit 2001; Shier, Hancey, and Benkovic 2001)

This is similar to what Bookends does, except we use { } to delimit temp citations. So you could change the parentheses to curly brackets. Of course, a scan in Bookends may lead to ambiguous citations (because just the authors and year aren't very specific). If this happens, you can do a Proofreading scan in Bookends and let it help you replace them with exact temp citations.

Maybe someone else will have another solution for you.

Jon
Sonny Software
med

Re: Replace citations of another reference manager (Zotero) in an already-written-word-doc

Post by med »

No worries! Thanks for the suggestion. My embedded Zotero temporary citations didn't look as simple as that for some reason. Word was freaking out and crashing when I was messing around with them.

So I just spent the last three hours re-doing the citations in the entire paper. I unliked/deleted the Zotero citation hyperlinks and kept track which numbers correspond to which papers. Then replaced them with my Bookends citations.

Bright side is I got to review every citation in my paper to re-familiarize them before submitting for publication!

Thanks