How to add an annotation before a date?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
domino

How to add an annotation before a date?

Post by domino »

Hi everyone!
I'm writing an article using APA 7th edition and I have to insert two dates in my in-text citations when I cite a translation whose publication date comes after its original publication date, as follows : (Winnicott, 1971/1975). In the bibliography section, books have to be written with an annotation : (Original work published in ...). But I don't know how to set bookends in order to add this annotation just before the publication date. How could I do that? Thanks for your help.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: How to add an annotation before a date?

Post by Jon »

You can enter literal text before or after a citation by surrounding it with backslashes:

{\Original work published in \temp cite}

Jon
Sonny Software
domino

Post by domino »

Thanks for your answer. When I try to follow your indications, I can't see how and where to put that text: do I have to enter it in the Formats Manager section or in the bibliography section in my article? For, when I compile my bibliography, nothings changes whatever I do. Or does it mean that I have to enter manually that text without using Live bibliography? Thanks for your help.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It's entered in the temporary citation. Since you're using Mellel, double click on the citation object and enter the text as I showed (you won't see curly brackets in Mellel).

Or you could use Copy Citation with Modifiers and let Bookends do this for you.

Please refer to the user guide, Help menu, which explains how this works (and much, much more).

Jon
Sonny Software
domino

Post by domino »

I'm very embarrassed but despite of my attention and my reading of the user guide, I only managed to obtain that my in-text citation respects this format: (Winnicott, 1971/1975). But the annotation Original work published in 1971 does not appear in my final bibliography. Is there anyone who could help me fix that problem?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The instructions I gave you were for in-text citations, not the bibliography.

To generate this in the bibliography you'd have to edit the format to output literal text. Something like

$Original work published in $a (d) t.

The text in between the $ signs is output as entered.

You'd have to create a new Type and assign it to such references, though, or every reference will be output this way.

Jon
Sonny Software
domino

Post by domino »

It works! Thanks for your help!