Chapter Abbreviations (etc.)

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
ehbarnet

Chapter Abbreviations (etc.)

Post by ehbarnet »

Hi,

Quite a few of the references I cite come from premodern publications that are divided up into complex subsections of books, parts, and chapters. However, I'm struggling to come up with a way to cite these subsections without creating an unmatched citation. At the moment, this is the problem citation: ("ch 7" comes up as the specific error).

{ab Alexandro, 1539, #36541@bk. 3, ch. 25; bk. 4; ch. 7}

What I'd like is a way to abbreviate "Book 3, Chapter 25" and "Book Four, Chapter 7" without messing up my bookends scan. I don't need to use the specific abbreviation that I have provided above, but I'd like some form of abbreviation.

Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Chapter Abbreviations (etc.)

Post by Jon »

Don't cite by content. Cite by Author, Date, Unique ID (set in preferences). Then you don't have to worry about this.

Jon
Sonny Software
ehbarnet

Post by ehbarnet »

Thanks for the response! It took me a while to respond because I wanted to do some more experimenting. I have to admit that I'm not sure what you mean by citing "by content" - I am already using "Author, Date, Unique ID," just introducing additional characters into the page cited section. How would citing by content fix the problem? If you're suggesting that I simply drop my cited subsections, then I'd be concerned about dealing with the period at the end of the original citation.

I've experimented with using the quote character (eg. {ab Alexandro, 1539, #36541@\, bk. \3, ch. 25; bk. 4, ch. 7}), but that doesn't fully resolve the problem.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You know, I think I read the initial post too quickly and provided an unhelpful response, sorry.

You used a ; in cited pages, which is not allowed if you're using ; as the citation separator. That's why you're getting unmatched citations.

Either use some other punctuation instead, or change the citation separator to something else in preferences.

Jon
Sonny Software

P.S. Cited pages is intended to be used with a single page or a page range, not a complex set of numbers and letters. Bookends will do its best, but this may lead to unexpected outputs. Literal text, between backslashes, is the safe way to deal with this. But note that the semicolon is still not allowed in those.