Open in Bookends using Share Menu?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
talazem

Open in Bookends using Share Menu?

Post by talazem »

Hello. I have recently started NetNewsWire (on Mac and iOS) again to keep on top of journals. On the Mac, it does not seem there is a way for me to open an article from NetNewsWire in Bookends, because Bookends does not use MacOS's Share Menu extensions. Am I wrong in this?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Open in Bookends using Share Menu?

Post by Jon »

There is no specific code in Bookends Mac to handle sharing. Not sure what Bookends would do with anything "shared" with it other than a PDF. And for that you can Print to PDF in any app and send the result to Bookends (Save PDF To Bookends), which will attach it.

Jon
Sonny Softtware
talazem

Post by talazem »

Thanks, Jon. I think what I have in mind is the following:

- if a webpage is being looked at in the RSS reader (or browser), it opens up Bookends' own browser in order to import the data/PDF into Bookends.
- if a PDF is being looked at, it attaches it to a new item. I understand this can be done through print to PDF (thank you for reminding me of that), but why not do it through the now commonly-used Share Menu for these types of things?

In any case, the first one is what I had in mind when posting the first message.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

We already have an Open In Bookends bookmarklet for use with browsers. I frankly don't know anything about allowing Bookends to accept shares from other apps. And of course Bookends wouldn't know what to do with a shared email or tweet. So it may fit your narrowly circumscribed use, but I don't think it makes sense as a general feature. Maybe I'm wrong and someone could show me how it would work as a general solution.

Jon
Sonny Software
talazem

Post by talazem »

Indeed, I don't know anything about how the Share Menu interacts with various kinds of apps. I had always assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the Share Menu on Mac and on iOS was smart enough to know which apps could receive certain types of data/files.

For example, I have a content blocker (Magic Lasso) installed on my Mac's Safari. In the Share Menu of Safari, there is an item with Magic Lasso's icon and "Add to Allowed", which adds the webpage to the blocker's whitelist. If I click on the Share Menu of, say, Devonthink, Magic Lasso does not have an item there.

The Open In Bookends bookmarklet sits prominently in my Safari browser. However, my request for adding support for Share Menu is premised on two things: (a) not all articles/PDFs come through a Web browser, but sometimes through other apps (like RSS readers), and (b) the Share Menu has become a system-wide way, on both Mac and iOS, to share things between apps. Many apps have a Share Menu button, but cannot necessarily have things like a bookmarklet.

In any case, thank you for considering it.