problem with bibliography when first author and year is the same

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
dtoub

problem with bibliography when first author and year is the same

Post by dtoub »

I've had to resolve conflicts not uncommonly when creating a bibliography from bookends citations. But it's even worse for the literature review I'm now putting together because there are two papers this month by the same author, and in my Word document I will have two different papers cited, but the short reference in both cases (before I hit Scan Document) will be {Smith et al., 2021}. Exact same person. Is there any way that Bookends can use a unique identifier, like DOI, in the citation to uniquely link the citation to the unique paper? Thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: problem with bibliography when first author and year is the same

Post by Jon »

You must be using some format you created or selected to create the temp citation. Bad idea. Name and year alone is often going to be ambiguous. I suggest you use author, date, unique id, one of the built-in temp citations that you can select in preferences, Scan & Bib tab.

Jon
Sonny Software
dtoub

Post by dtoub »

Thanks. It's odd because here is how I have it set in preferences:
Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 4.57.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 4.57.21 PM.png (24.19 KiB) Viewed 1595 times
dtoub

Post by dtoub »

So I changed it to use Unique ID and that seems to be the way to go. Thanks. I figured there was a preference for that I was missing.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Author, Date, PMID is great if you are writing a biomedical paper with others *if* each reference has the PMID. I'm guessing yours don't, at least a subset of them, so the temp citation contained just the author and date.

If you're getting your references from PubMed, and you haven't altered the PubMed filter we provide, the PMID will be imported along with the metadata.

Jon
Sonny software